Friday, April 26, 2013

 
I just think my husband is so amazing.
He definitely has a green thumb or two.
These are the carrots that were planted last spring.  He dug up some in the fall and has been digging them up all winter for our use.
These are the last ones and they are amazingly fresh and tasty.
 

I bought this book recently.  It has tantalizing pictures of both the savory and the sweet pies.
I used a recipe that called for butter AND lard in the crust.
 


It was a meat pie made from the leftover beef roast and "Man!" was it yummy.
 
I cooked the roast in the crockpot with Hidden Valley powdered salad dressing mix and 2 pkgs. of brown gravy mix.  I also added about 1 cup of water.
 
After we ate the roast for two meals, I cooked some potatoes and some of those lovely carrots and put it into the already thick gravy and meat.
 

 
The crust was a little tricky and I had to add much more than the 3 TBS. of ice water it called for.  In fact, I probably used more like 1/2 cup.  I think it was my compacted flour and the dry day.  It turned out nice and flakey. 
 
The crust recipe has you cut out little decorations and then paint everything with an egg wash.
I love how the egg wash browned up and it makes the crust have this crispy coating that is nice on the tongue.
 
Not a very "quilty" post but my tummy isn't complaining.
R

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

Robin--that is exactly what my Dad does with his carrots. We have a bag in the fridge from last year's planting--they are so good.
Where did that book come from? I love making pies--how did I miss this?
I prefer my crust straight butter, but a catering friend of mine, who has passed on now, used to use a combination of butter, lard and shortening.
I ALWAYS have to use more water than recipes call for. I wonder if it is our dry air? I agree--it usually close to 1/2 a cup. So it isn't just you! : )
Did your call come?