Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hexie star completed


Finally I have something quilty to share.  I bought a hexie punch at JoAnns and have been punching away at those little subscription postcards that are found in every magazine.  They are just the perfect firmness and flexibility for this project.  It has taken over a month to get this much done but progress is one step at a time after all.  (As long as you're going forward)

This project is in the Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine.  Spring 2013  Stars in the Garden
Only I am using 1" hexies compared to the 3/8" hexies the pattern calls for.

I didn't realize till I was done that I've repeated colors in a methodical way; pink from the flower in the middle, maroon from the sprigs in the pink, peach from the center of the flowers in the maroon, and then I repeated another color from the center for the outside border.  I just picked out what I liked from my stash - who knew I have such complex things going on behind my eyes.  I was just trying to get contrast.

I'm going to try and keep that in mind as I make the other stars.



But, lest you think I haven't any more barn blocks to share - here are two more.  We went to Chilton and New Holstein (yes, we're in Wisconsin) this week and saw this unique block.






I don't know the name of this block but I think it has something to do with swallows or maybe doves.  I've always loved a red, white, and gray theme.  The house I lived in till I was almost four was gray with white trim and a red door.  It must be implanted on me for life.
 

Our adventures will take us to Janesville and Prairie du Chein this week.  I will be REALLY surprised if we don't see more blocks on barns.  Southern Wisconsin has them everywhere.  And, of course, Shawano County west of Green Bay has them around every turn. (Look at my left sidebar)

Hopefully it won't take me a month to finish another star.  But, if it does............. then I'll have two completed.

Robin

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

I think you are zooming on the stars, compared to my pace, Robin. I've been going for months. I have three partial stars, but not one of them is as far along as yours. You are doing great.
Always fun to see the barn quilts you find on your journeys!