Saturday, January 3, 2015

Blackbird Designs this year


I've decided I need to catch up on my Blackbird Designs quilt tops this year.  I've completed 5 different tops.  Here are four of them hanging in my downstairs closet.


The first one I want to quilt this year is from the above book.  I hunted for it for quite a while before I found it at the bottom of a large box of fabric that my daughter filled when she emptied the dresser last January.



It is based on this pattern in the book.  My version (below) has a much lighter background.


I pressed it and put it across the couch.  I need to pick out a backing and put it on the frames.  My fingers are itching to begin.


I also made a quilt top by the pattern (below) found in the Home Sweet Home book.


My version is wrong somehow.  The fabric I used for the setting triangles keeps the viewer from looking at the center of the quilt which is where the interesting parts are.  I've got to figure out what I can do to fix the problem.  It will probably mean many hours of unsewing.


The next quilt top is from the Quilting in the Garden book. It is called Peppermint & Holly.


I also made a top from the book called Women of Grace and Charm.  It is the 3rd quilt I have made from this book.  I love the big 18" blocks that these quilts have.


This quilt top is made from this pattern in the book.


And lastly I made a Hallowe'en 1904 quilt top.  What a delightful adventure that was.  I've got my work cut out for me trying to finish all of these this year.


Today I had the whole day in front of me and couldn't decide what to work on first.  My house guests have all returned to their homes so I went from project to project most of the morning.  I made a scrap quilt of my own this Christmas season while everyone else was doing Bonnie's mystery scrap quilt.  I  added an outer border this morning and have since changed my mind about the final border.


I pressed the Birds of a Feather quilt top in readiness for the frames.


I sandwiched this quilt flag together and pin basted it to prepare for the hand basting.  I plan on quilting this on a small lap hoop.  It's a take-along project.


I found this Warren Kimball panel in my stash and it seemed perfect for the backing for the flag.



I'm still plugging along on the hexies quilt.  It needs some contrasting colors to give it a spark.  Maybe some yellow?  I'm not too fond of the mauve star on the right.  I'm just not a mauve person.


Tonight's full moon is called the "Wolf Moon".  I'm so glad that the sky is clear enough to enjoy it.

Robin

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

My goodness, you have a lot going on! So many fun quilts--I would not know where to start!
Looks like we are both doing Stars in the Garden--you are just doing it more consistently than I am! : )

Northern Deb said...

Love the flag quilt. I like seeing all that you have in progress...i have some english paper piecing I'm slowly plugging away at. Yours is really pretty.