Monday, January 12, 2015

Getting back into the saddle~


I made my first pie since coming home from Wisconsin.  It smells so good! I had quite a few cooking disasters while I was gone and getting used to the lack of elevation and humidity.

It looks like I haven't quite got my pie making ability back.  I forgot to moisten the edge of the lower crust before I put the top crust on and so the peach yummy-ness boiled over.   It looks a little dark but that is because the crust is 1/2 whole wheat.  I love the combination of whole wheat nutty-ness and peaches.



I've been cutting out a quilt that I bought the supplies for ages ago.  It has been a delight to come home after being gone 18 months and rediscover the projects in the sewing studio.  This used up a complete "Layer Cake" but one of the Moda line called Portobello Market.  The name always reminds me of the Disney movie 'Bedknobs & Broomsticks'.

I usually come late to the band wagon and this was no exception.  I admired Portobello Market for months and then when I finally decided to buy some, the best pieces were gone.  So I finally found a "Layer Cake" and bought some yardage for a border.

I making the pattern below called "Rosettes".  It's by Fig Tree.

 
I made a few Boo-Boos while cutting and had to sew some strips together to get the right size pieces.  I hate it when I do that.  You'd think that after sewing for 50 years I'd stop making mistakes.


I have started quilting  my "Birds of a Feather" quilt top finally.  There's something about aging a good quilt top till it's "just right" and then putting it on the frames.  There are some things that just can't be rushed....................




AND I went and bought myself this cutest of carts from Ikea.  I saw it about a year ago on a blog and wanted one immediately.  But, since I was in Wisconsin doing missionary work, I just hoped it would still be available when I got home.  AND it was!


What a delightful little thing.  It's so sturdy and what's not to love about the color?  I have it right next to the quilting frames with my thread, needles, scissors, pins, tissues, spray bottle, various markers and rulers etc. etc. etc. right at hand.

I can roll the little cart back in to my sewing studio when the grandkids come so it's out of their way.

It makes me smile,
Robin

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

That would be a challenge to switch altitudes with your baking.
Portobello Road--now I won't get that out of my head. One of my youngest's favorite movies! : )
Great little cart! I've never been to IKEA. I think it will be dangerous if I ever get there.