Thursday, February 12, 2015

Just wanted to share.

I got out my little box of Valentine's decorations and was surprised to to find that I don't have very many heart shaped things to display.  But, I did find this little box that my SIL (my husband's sister) made for me about 30 yrs. ago.  Wow!  Has it been that long?

She recently passed away at the age of 65 from cancer.  In fact, I just realized, her birthday is tomorrow.

She was an interesting and complex person.  She was constantly challenging herself to do or make something unique.  She decided she wanted to make a heart-shaped box.  And I was the lucky recipient of her efforts.

Top
 It measure 1 3/4 inches high and is just less than 6 inches at the widest point on top.

Side view. The top overhangs the bottom due to being stored poorly.

The pink satin lining.

Careful stitches on the fabric hinges.

The bottom.
She taught me so many things like canning, and knitting, and not being afraid to try.

 We sewed together, we laughed together, we each had three babies within a few months of each other.  And then our lives changed, she and her family moved states away, and we grew apart.

I'm grateful for this little box that represents those good times.

Robin

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

How nice to have this special reminder of your sister-in-law.