Saturday, March 7, 2015

Done, done, and done

Measures 75" X 75"

I finished the "Block in the Spotlight" quilt top yesterday.  I didn't really know how it was going to turn out because I made it up as I went.  I think it needs a 3" or 4" blue border to repeat the center and other border and I have enough fabric (Wiscasset by Minnick & Simpson) but I was ready to call it a day so it is neatly folded and in the bottom drawer of the downstairs dresser.  It turned out busy but quite delightful, I think.



We drove to Cache Valley on Thursday to visit my cousins.  It was great to finally see some snow along the way.


This is a picture of the Weber valley (I think that's what it's called) looking toward Ben Lomond.

The reservoir looks so peaceful and placid.

And here we are in Mantua, a lovely little community nestled in a corner of Sardine Canyon.


While we were eating lunch this beautiful male pheasant perched itself upon my cousin's shed roof.  And then it posed long enough to be photographed.  Such rich colors.  His head is in the shade or it would be a beautiful gleaming hunter green.

We were served homemade Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches with real Provolone or Swiss cheese melted over the meat under the broiler.  There was Apple/Grape fruit salad, Broccoli Bacon salad, and a Rotini pasta salad with the fudgiest brownies and chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.  We all over induged!


There are an abundance of wild turkeys at the south end of Cache Valley.  My cousin said there are no longer any natural predators so the population is exploding.


Notice the orange in the background - possible next project

And finally, I have something to admit.  I'm sure it will sound familiar to many of you.  When I am collecting fabric for a specific project I have a tendency to energetically accumulate way more fabric than I could ever possibly use.

The plastic bin above is for my Minnick and Simpson fabrics and I took this picture when I FINISHED the quilt top.  The lid still won't close without some considerable effort.


There are a few non-Minnick and Simpson pieces in there too.

Just too many wonderful choices out there.  I also have a box labeled patriotic prints that has more red, white, and blue waiting for it's turn.

It feels good to be done but there is also and emptiness.  I'm not sure what to do with myself this afternoon because I am no longer in the middle of a project.  Do I start a new one, find another UFO to get busy on, or learn how to use the new Legacy 8.0 software I just purchased.

I know what I should do - I know what I'd like to do. . .
Robin

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Good job on the quilt top. I think a blue border will be a nice compliment. It is a wonderful piece!
Where on the south end of Cache Valley do your cousins live? I am all too familiar with the abundance of wild turkeys. I wish they ate crows, because we have too many of those, too. : )
So, I'm curious, have you chosen another UFO, started a new project, or neither?

audrey said...

What a great looking top! I'm always so amazed at how much fabric I have left when I'm finished.:) I think that's why I often transfer some of that fabric right into a new project. I'm just not done playing with those fabrics yet!