Friday, May 15, 2015

Pompions, pie, and the Sanderson Star Quilt

"For pottage, and puddings, and custards, and pies,
Our pumpkins and parsnips are common supplies.
We have pumpkins at morning and pumpkins at noon:
If it were not for pumpkins, we should be undoon."

Pumpkins or "pompions" were a standby of the early New England Settlements.


This is the quilt on the frames and it's putting me into a fall-like mood.  I'm really enjoying the hand quilting using black and orange 12 wt. thread and big stitches.  Although my big stitches should really be called big spaces because I haven't quite got the rhythm going yet.


Because I'm thinking about fall and the temps are in the 50's I decided to make a pie out of the sweet potatoes I bought.  I thought I was buying yams, which I love, but I ended up with 5 sweet potatoes and neither DH or I are fond of them.


So, I pulled out the 1940's cookbook and made Sweet Potato Pie.  The partial recipe is above.  Doesn't the Pumpkin Pie with cream and POOLS OF HONEY above the recipe sound tempting?

I already had a baked pie shell so I cooked the filling like pudding in a saucepan until thick and then poured it into the shell.  Waited for it to cool - not!  It was very satisfying.




I finished the blue and white crown of thorns quilt that I've been hand quilting for two years.  It turned out rather lovely I think~  I haven't washed it yet and am a bit hesitant.  I don't want to take the newness away.  But after two years of being dragged to Wisconsin and back, it needs a bath.

Just a reminder of the border quilting.
I did a knife edge binding.  It was rather tedious to do.  I don't have a picture of the completed binding.

The inspiration for this quilt is found in the book Quilts & Coverlets - The Beamish Collections by Rosemary E. Allan.  I tried to find a link but I can't find anywhere that this books is available for sale.



The book has wonderful pictures and histories of the quilts of Northern England and Wales.  It is a treasure trove.


This quilt is the Sanderson Star.  It was my inspiration.  I wanted to make a two color quilt with a fairly simple piecing design and then quilt it intensely like this quilt and others in the book.


This is the quilting design - gasp!

A red and white version of the Sanderson Star.


I quilted the pieced blocks both in the ditch and 1/4" inside each seam.  I came up with my own idea for the quilting in the white spaces.  It was truly a labor of love.

Off to enjoy another piece of pie.
Robin









2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow, Robin, that Crown of Thorns quilt is an heirloom! It would have taken me 4 or 5 years to hand quilt that. Good for you!
I've never tried a sweet potato pie, because I don't love sweet potatoes, either. Now you have me intrigued! : )

Heidee Lindsey said...

Your crown of thorns quilt is gorgeous! As Janet said above, truly an heirloom.