Friday, August 28, 2015

A goulash kind of day

Goulash - an eclectic and uncoordinated mixture of something.


It is time for garden goulash.  It's a dish my mother-in-law made every summer.  It starts out with too many tomatoes from the garden simmered with hamburger, onions, green peppers, chilies, green beans, corn cut off the cob, sliced zucchini, and any other vegetable that might be over producing in your garden.  Spice it up with chili powder, smoked paprika, basil, garlic powder (salt & pepper) etc. etc. and serve it over fluffy rice.

I make it about 3 times a summer when the produce is piling up on my counter and I'm looking for something easy that lasts a few meals.



I'm trying to catch up on my labeling.  I made four labels today.

One for the Thomas Ross Quilt made 3 or 4 years ago.

One for the Blue and White Crown of Thorns quilt finished earlier in the spring.



One for the Hallawe'en 1904 quilt that I call "Adams Elementary Halloween Festival".  I will add the label as soon as I finish the binding.

And one for the scrap quilt called "Sunny Lanes" in the 1st Nickel book that also will be put on as soon as the binding is finished.



I'm in a bit of a bind (pun intended).  I can't get to my cutting mat to trim the Halloween and Scrap quilt so I can sew the binding on.  My sewing studio is cluttered with boxes and bow tie blocks



and all kinds of stuff that can't be put somewhere else  -  yet.    I am soooooooooooooo looking forward to the clean-out either tomorrow or Monday when my temporary house guests move into their new home.  They received the key today and are over there cleaning up and making ready for the furniture.

I am so itchy to just bulldoze all the excess out and just start with a sewing station and ironing board.  That sounds so cleansing somehow.

My house-guests have been fun to have around and they are more than welcome to stay if I could only get my space back but alas, I've had to move the 27 quilt tops hanging in the closet, clean out the whole double dresser of extra fabric and projects that overflowed from my sewing studio, remove the under the bed boxes full of fabric and projects, and even take my quilt frames upstairs.  We're crowded everywhere and it makes me unable to relax.



My youngest son's wedding was last Saturday.  It was absolutely lovely, the weather,

Even the sunrise was glorious~
 the events, the food and of course, the couple.




DD#1 crocheted this couple for display at the brunch.  Too cute!


DD#2 with her 2 yr. old monkey on her back

We're ready to start!!!

This was our sunrise earlier in the week with the smoke from the northwest filtering down all the way to Utah.  The air was pretty thick at times but nothing like those in the fire zones are still suffering through.  Hope we hear some good news about those fires soon.


Hope you're not too hot, not spending a lot of time peeling tomatoes like I am, and able to get to your sewing space.

I envy you~
Robin



2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Good for you, getting labels on your quilts. I try to make it a habit now. Mine are nothing fancy--just the folded triangle corner--but it is a label. : )
My sewing room was out of control, but not for the same reason you've had. DH went camping with his scouts today and I decided to tackle the mess. While rearranging the shelves on a bookcase, one shelf dropped on my head. The corner hit me and drew blood. That slowed down my work considerably.
Glad things went well for your son's wedding. Looks like a happy couple.
We had that smoke, too. Couldn't see the mountains out my sewing room window for a couple of days.Our air quality was as bad as a winter inversion. Yuck!
My AC is running, I'm not peeling tomatoes, and now I can get into my sewing room. Must be a good day for me (except for where my head is still throbbing).

audrey said...

Haha not spending too much time in the quilting room yet! I feel for you, missing your space. Company is good fun, but you're right. It's hard to properly relax when the house gets crowded up. The wedding looks fun--happy bride and groom.:) Hope the smoke clears out a bit for you. We finally had a few patches of blue sky today!!