Friday, September 11, 2015

Stars and Wormy Apples



Here are some close-ups of the quilt I mentioned in the previous post.  (Savery Friendship Star Quilt)

I was able to purchase a new battery for my camera and the charger came yesterday so I'm able to take and download pictures for the blog once again.


I am stitching this top with DMC size 12 thread in Ecru using a size 1 Milliner's needle.  The needle makes a large enough hole for the thread to glide through but I have to double knot the ends so  the knots don't glide through as well.

I love the way the quilting makes the stars pouf up.


Wish I had more of this fabric - sigh~


I'm just quilting around the stars, around the center, and on the outside of the blocks so it's going fast.

This quilt will be done in a couple of weeks which makes me happy.

Another thing that makes me happy is wormy apples.
I know that sounds weird but it's true.

We have a golden delicious tree out in the backyard and this year all it has is wormy apples.  As the wind blows them off of the tree I have been cutting around the damaged portion of the apple and cooking them for applesauce.  I love homemade applesauce.  The product that is for sale in the store is too smooth for me.  I want a chunky applesauce with minimal sweetness.  So, wormy apples make me happy because if I didn't have them - I wouldn't have anything.   Something is always better than nothing.

I made pickle relish this morning.  It didn't turn out as I had hoped.  Does anyone have a good hot dog relish recipe?
Robin

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

Good job on the hand quilting!
I had to laugh about the wormy apples. My Dad has a tree full of them--he didn't get them sprayed after their initial treatment. But I am not as diligent as you are, though I love homemade applesauce. I think my Dad will try to cut out wormy parts and dehydrate them.