Sunday, December 31, 2017

I'm more about the making than the having.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  The reason I quilt is to fulfill my need to create (thus the name of my blog).

My current obsession, I love this pattern.


 I see patterns in magazines (like the cover of the most recent American Patchwork and Quilts), or pictures on blogs or quilts in museums and I get inspired.  I picture the quilt in my mind with different colors or slight alterations and it becomes the focus of my quilty thoughts for days, sometimes months, and often years.  I look for a similar pattern or buy the original, or make up one on my own.  The fabric hunt begins whether in my stash, my LQS, or online.

Lately I've been compelled to use the fabrics that I have carefully been aging in my sewing closet.

I do buy some fabric, I always need neutrals.  And I keep track of the new lines from my favorite designers (Barbara Brackman needs to come out of designing retirement)  Occasionally I find myself in the "tempted zone" and eventually go one step further to the "succumbing zone".   I have a lot to say about shopping for fabric but I'll save that for another post.

I bought enough of the sashing fabric so I could do something like this.


This post is about making quilts.  I've found out a lot about myself doing the mystery quilt again this year (this is the 4th one I've made).  What I've discovered is that I'm a block girl.  I don't enjoy making the same part endlessly.  I enjoy making a block and putting it up on my design wall to admire.  It's such a feeling of accomplishment to see that completed block and leave spaces for the next ones to come.  I'm definitely a block girl.  Thank goodness, as of today and Clue #8, we are at the block stage.

So, I have the idea, gather the fabric, cut it out (my least favorite part), and begin sewing,  I have an abundance of enthusiasm at the beginning but it comes and goes during the process of making the quilt.  I am always working toward the end product - that original vision in my head.

I am so intrigued by this Indigo quilt from the 3 Sisters show.


After weeks (or years sometimes) of concentrated effort I'm done.  It's gorgeous, it's so many things all in one.  It's satisfying, it's gratifying, and it's going to make me or someone really happy to use it.

 And then, if I'm going to keep it, I put it up on the shelf of a closet and make a mad dash into my sewing room to begin again.

In other words, "I'm more about the making than the having".

Robin


7 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

It's interesting how we all work...... Love the first quilt......

Karen said...

The planning stage is often the most interesting part of making a quilt. Looking for just the right pattern (and I like variety of block design within a quilt), selecting fabrics that make me happy, and the anticipation of the start....whether today and 5 years from now.

Nancy said...

I'm like you in that once a quilt is finished, it goes on a shelf, a bed, a couch, to someone else, and I'm on to the next quilt. And I, too, love to see the blocks and would rather sew one block at a time than cut and sew parts. My personal challenge is deciding -- block/pattern, colors, and fabrics -- which takes me way too long. Another challenge is trying to visualize how multiple blocks will look together before I make them. Love the quilts in this post, Robin.

Janet O. said...

I am fascinated by your current focus quilt. You do love to choose ambitious ones, and I love watching them come into being under your skilled hand.
Hmmm, now you have me curious about your thoughts on shopping for fabric.
I am not good at endless repetitive sewing, either. People talk about how relaxing mindless sewing is--they get in "the zone" and they think about all kinds of things while the pieces get put together. I guess we built our home without including "the zone", because I never seem to find it. LOL
Well, you have me wanting to hurry to the sewing room to create!
Happy New Year, Robin!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Happy New Year...love the two quilts that you are currently working on!

audrey said...

All those quilts look like great fun to make! I had to laugh reading your post, because as the years go by, I'm just the same. Years ago the finish made my heart pitter patter the most. Now? Like you say, it's gratifying etc., but back to the quilt room in a flash to start in on the next. lol Love the process!

moosecraft said...

So true! I think maybe it has to do with how different fabrics/colors change each block layout as well... it's just so much FUN! :-)
I'm new to your blog....and look forward to seeing more of what you are creating... I'm still admiring the Peppermint quilt from your last post!
Happy New Year!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...