Saturday, April 28, 2018

Monkey hands block done

I need to work on my pressing skills.  I was a little over zealous on this block.



This block went together quickly.  I started out with the woven section.  I used a pansy fabric and I think it turned out festive or cheerful.

I decided I wanted to repeat the yellow and so I made the dominant center flower yellow.  It originally had a yellow pansy where the pink calyx is now.  The pansy was so underwhelming.

I knew I wanted to use the purple fabric on either side of the yellow.  It tied in the purple in the basket base, top, and handles.  And it's a complimentary color so it makes the yellow stand out.

Then, it was trial and error trying to figure out what fabric to use for the monkey hands.  The red draws a little more of the attention to itself than I had planned but I like the effect of going from gold to a dark red like its from inside a furnace.

The leaves were me trying to use something different from the other blocks.




More Roseville Album Quilt pictures after we pause for a garden break.

I have to give you an update on the Wisteria.
The pictures below were taken last Sunday (22nd), Thursday (26th), and today, Saturday (28th).



It's amazing to watch this plant grow.

Back to quilting; I've got 7 more blocks to go on the Roseville Album Quilt.  As I sit and sew I'm thinking about borders.

This is the a picture of the original border.




I really love the way Julie Prose has finished her quilt below.  I was planning on doing the same thing in the four corners.  Using the same pattern for each one has so much more continuity.

Her border is delighful.  Love this adaptation of the design!!





And here is another sweet border.  I'm considering doing one similar to this.  After all the intricate applique and the time spent on each individual block and panel, it would be nice to do something that would go together faster.



This one was done by Cheri of underquiltedcovers

I have all kinds of admiration for the people who undertake a big applique project like this.

Will do some deep contemplation before I tackle something like this again!!!
Robin


5 comments:

Janet O. said...

I admire such people, too--like yourself!! This is an amazing quilt, and your attention to detail on the fussy-cutting and color selection really makes it shine!
I really like that last border. It frames the quilt beautifully without competing with the blocks.
I don't think my new Wisteria survived, but I am fascinated by the progress on yours!

Karen said...

Your blog post intrigued me....Monkey Hands. Looking at the block design, I see how you came up with that.

Nancy said...

I think it's funny that you call this block monkey hands, Robin. But, of course, I can see them now that you say that. It's a beautiful block and I love your fabric and color choices.
Your wisteria is growing so big so fast. I suppose, if you sat and watched it for an hour you'd be able to actually see it grow.
Yes, I admire people who choose to make such intricate applique quilts, you included. It takes a great eye for color, plenty of fabric choices, and lots of attention to detail, but the results are so amazing. I like the last border best, not because it would could be faster to create, but because its simplicity allows the other blocks to shine without competing with them. It make a nice frame (imho).

Kaja said...

I like all the border variations. I too am full of admiration for people who undertake this sort of project (including you)! I love the wisteria photos - such a vigorous plant and the flowers are so elegant.

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

love your monkey hands :) And the Wisteria! Here in southwestern PA we have lows in the 30's right now.. spring dances away...

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...