Monday, August 20, 2018

Just a little self-motivation musings. . .

For some reason I am unable to correct the tiny font in part of this post.  I've tried to do it twice and it's still little.  I apologize.

 I'm trying to get some of my UFOs done (as in the quilt in the previous post) and it's taking some concentrated effort to keep from starting something new.

Through the years I've wanted to try a lot of different quilting techniques and patterns; 

different fabrics, 
                           different styles, 
                                                    different difficulty levels, 
                                                                                            different themes or genres.  

But, now I think I have a better idea of what feels like "me".  


 I've tried the hard things and some of them are worth the extra effort and time. . . others are not.


Some things are easy for me like "Y" seams or needle-turn applique.  But, there are other techniques that just aren't on my list of things I want to do, like wool embroidery or tedious paper piecing (I'm not talking about hexies, I'm talking about the intricate scenes and still life florals that are sometimes paper pieced)  or working with really tiny pieces or machine quilting.    They are beautiful, they just don't give me as much pleasure when I make them.


I usually make bed size quilts and that can be very time consuming.  I think I'm now satisfied with smaller sizes.


It's a sweet blessing that we can all do different things.  There is such a great diversity of creations out there.  Isn't it fabulous that we all have the freedom to do what we like best.


So, back to the UFOs.  One of the things I do well is finish things.  I can't just let them languish in a closet, drawer, or shelf.  It make take me a while but I know they're there and I know they will get their time eventually.



Here is a list of my current quilting UFOs.  (And a few pictures)
I'm not including the quilt tops that are waiting to be quilted.. 

1.  Sweet Land of Liberty by Cheri Saffiote Payne  (almost done)




2.  Double 9-Patch - Zip a dee doo dah (just needs borders)

3.  Butterfly Round Robin (11 blocks needs to be set)
4.  Lori Smith's Ode to the 1930's (I have two in progress for a double sided quilt)   


Remember this one?
  
5.  Calendula Patterdrip (This one is just started)
6.  Hexagon Quilt (traveling project)



7.  Red & White Quilt (8 blocks + made)




8.  Rising Sun Quilt (just needs borders)

9.  Chicken in a basket Quilt (one block needs help)
10. Baraboo Quilt (just needs borders)



11. Old Maids Patience (revamping)



I think it would look better with red or blue alternate blocks.

12. Sleigh Bells (just needs borders)

13. When the Cold Wind Blows (lots of work here)
14.  Florence Peto Quilt (two more 3' applique blocks)
15.  Stamp Quilt (8 blocks made)

That's a do-able amount, don't you think?  Four of the quilts just need borders.  After appliqueing the Roseville Album Quilt and almost finishing the Sweet Land of Liberty Quilt. . . most of these will feel like 'PLAYTIME".


Thanks for stopping by,

Robin

***




4 comments:

Nancy said...

That's great making this list helped motivate you, Robin. For me, making a list like this would be so depressing. Aside from the finished quilt tops (including one that needs a border changed), I think I have four or five quilts in progress to the point that I can actually think of them as potential quilts (instead of a stack of blocks awaiting decision about whether I want to make a quilt with them or not). I'm nearly to the point of feeling overwhelmed with the three quilts I'm actively working on.

Okay, your quilts: I love the one with circles, is it called Baraboo? It's one of the few circles quilts in which the circles look round with inner sashing. So often the circles look less round because of that sashing. How did you managed to make yours look round? And how large are the circles?

You are amazing to make a double-sized quilt! What a lot of work but, of course, it would be wonderful to have a quilt like that.

The rest of your quilts are beautiful, too. I'd like to see the others that don't have photos. I can probably search your blog to see photos, can't I?

Karen said...

I too have drawn conclusions about what I prefer to do and what is worth the effort. Intricate paper piecing is definitely not my bag. Not now. Not ever. Some simple paper piecing is okay. My preferred go to in quilting has changed over the years. Used to be that I pieced all my quilts. Now, the applique is what I turn to.

Ann said...

It's a lot of work but it's better to clear them out than let them stack up forever. I've been trying unfamiliar techniques this year, too, with similar results. It does help clarify what we like and why. That's always a worthwhile task. Plus, it helps keep our minds sharp to try new things.

Janet O. said...

You are so good to tackle the UFOs, and you are a good finisher! Wish you could send some of that discipline my way! :)
There are some great projects here. Everything you make is done so well.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...