Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Path finished, sashing begun



I finished the flying geese path from my house to my great grandmother's house and put some of the green blocks in place.   I also put a strip of mountain fabric on top because this neighborhood reaches to college hill (very steep) and eventually on up into the foothills of the Bear River Mountains and is part of the Wasatch Range of the Rocky Mountains.  Whew!  That was a mouthful!

I should also mention the orientation of my map is not normal.  The top is east instead of north.

I didn't know till I looked it up that I grew up at the feet of the Bear River Mountains.  It is interesting because my great grandmother emigrated to America from Bern Switzerland.  Bern's mascot is the Bear and they have live bears in an enclosure by the Aare River at the south of the old city center.

My high school mascot was a Grizzly  (not surprisingly).




Photographs are great things.  I now notice some sashing strips that I want to change.  AND, I need another row of blocks between what I have and the mountains.  That also means more flying geese.  It may seem like the quilt isn't very balanced but we lived on the north edge of town and it was mostly pasture land to the left of the blocks that are there.  Maybe I'll just put a long strip of green on the left - hmmmmm?

I think I'll stop for today and think about what else I want to do.
Robin

7 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fantastic and very clever quilt! I love quilts with stories and this is a wonderful one. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Janet O. said...

Very clever, Robin. I like what you have done so far.
I still need to consult the histories I have and find out how close my Grandma grew up to where I grew up.

Nancy said...

I like how you're using the geese, Robin, and I especially like that they're red and white. The rest of the quilt so far looks great, too. I could not make a quilt like this because my grandmother lived two houses away and it would be a very boring quilt. But I have been thinking of participating in this challenge, especially after having posted about the book they referenced at the AHIQ blog (which is the same one I posted about a few months ago). I've been thinking along the lines of family history, too, but I need to find time to pull out some maps first. I don't want it to turn into one more project I can't keep up with!

audrey said...

Love the funky geese!

Ann said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Robin. I like your placement of the geese. As you wrote, it's so helpful to have many quick photos before finalizing a design. Flying geese on the side sound good. Or a block that represents something you did together - Cake Stand or something - or something that represents the area - Bears Paw, Waterwheel, etc. Just a suggestion. Interpreting a lifetime is definitely challenging. You're progressing much better than I am.

Kaja said...

Oh yes, this is working!

Karen said...

Such an interesting piece. I like the story that goes with it.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...