Friday, September 28, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty - September



I finished the section for September.   I made the angel block 5 years ago when I first started this quilt so I was a little ahead.    I love the red bird on the star pot!  I wish I had used a darker fabric behind the 1776 but it's done and I'm satisfied.  I try to use a specific fabric in each quilt I make.  I used it on the left portion of the block the angel is flying toward.  I can't remember the name of that block pattern.  I also added a little Debbie Mumm Lady Liberty in the economy block on the right.





Since I finished that section I decided to make some houses for the bottom border, and then I made some stars.  And then I kept on going.  The the border was a little smaller than the lower portion of the quilt so I added my initials.





And it's done!!!  I don't know why the lower section was wide enough without the flying geese strip on the left.  I may or may not put the strip above the smaller stars on the bottom so there isn't such a gap between them and the angel block.  Hmmmmm?

It was such a fun SAL.  Thanks so much Lori.



I just wanted to show you some of our pumpkins.  The pictures above and below were taken on September 9th.





These two pictures are only 2 weeks later.



It's a fun time of year for the garden.

Robin

14 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your Sweet Land of Liberty turned out quite nicely. I just started this month and am almost finished with this month's of blocks. What is the finished size of your quilt? I am wondering if it would hurt the proportions to add some width to the quilt. Not sure what I would do to do that, but just a thought.

Ann said...

I tried to grow watermelon one year. Only two grew and they were only as large as softballs.
I can grow okra and squash.

Barb said...

Your quilt turned out great and it was fun to see your pumpkins!

Janet O. said...

Look at you go! A wonderful finish, Robin. I love all the little extra touches. Great job!
Didn't grow pumpkins this year. Yours look incredible!

Karen said...

I haven't worked on Sweet Land of Liberty in a long, long time but I do remember having a problem with getting parts for the bottom right corner to fit.

Nancy said...

Your Liberty quilt looks great, Robin! I love your red bird on the star pot, too. And your houses at the bottom are wonderful. Plus, you made some great changes from the original pattern to make the quilt your own. Well done! I didn't work on this quilt at all this month. (September was crazy.) I know I will not catch up to finish with everyone else but I'll keep working on it. I think I'll put it as a priority for October.

Susie H said...

Beautiful Liberty Quilt!

Julierose said...

I've just loved watching all your parts come together--lovely finish on this one...hugs, Julierose

Lori said...

Yay! Your liberty quilt is wonderful! I wish I would have added my initials somewhere.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I love your colors and changes and I'm thinking of borrowing your initials idea. I hope mine goes together easily. Ha. We shall see.

jann said...

great quilt! I love your houses and the vine in your bird pot. Congrats on finishing.

Kim said...

Love your Sweet land of Liberty quilt, your colors are great and so nicely distributed across the quilt. Will you hand quilt this one? I've fallen behind but hope to get it done before the end of the year. Nice pumpkin patch too....keep your eyes posted for a visit from the "Great Pumpkin" :0) Happy Sewing!

Unknown said...

It is very interesting. I love all the things you share and see your beautiful creation. Thank you for sharing with everyone. I know everything about you.
ดูดวงแม่น

Susan said...

After Covid and a bout with cancer for two years and still counting, I'm back to working on my SLOL. I find it gives me encouragement to go back and look at other peoples' finishes. I liked that you changed some things. I have, too, more out of necessity than creativity, though! I hope things are going well for you and you are still loving this quilt!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...