Friday, October 19, 2018

Keeping busy



My youngest daughter shared some pears she had been gifted.  They were a little green so I put them in the refrigerator until I had time to do something with them.  Later I set them in the middle of the dining room table till they ripened.  Aren't they pretty?  Since I had more than we would probably eat and not enough to bottle - I decided to dehydrate them.  They are so sweet and chewy - yum!



I've finished 20 of the 32 border blocks I need.  This picture gives an idea of how I'm going to arrange them.  I think this quilt will need at least one more border before it tells me it's done.




I worked a little more on the Adhoc- Improv challenge of using "maps" as our theme.  I sewed the top and two side borders on.  I added six little Swiss flags since this is a map of the neighborhood my great grandparents lived in and they immigrated from Switzerland.  I think I will label the streets next and put in the some directional labels as well.



I finished the "Sleigh Bells" pattern by Jan Patek.  It is #12 on my UFO list.  So, I have completed 5 of my UFOs to the flimsy stage since September, only 10 more to go. The middle of this winter quilt has been done for over a year and just needed borders.  I finally found a dark fabric I liked and put the borders on yesterday.  The black piece has tiny gold stars and a red design in it.  I put it on the frames this morning.  I'm already to start the quilting but need to find a marking pencil that isn't too thick to go into my stencil.  I have all kinds of marking pencils but no white ones that will work.




I pin basted this little quilt that's been waiting for years.  The pattern is by Cheri Payne.  I just wanted something  mindless to work on while I watch TV.  It should be done in no time.




I finished "Big Stitching" the Slap-Dash quilt.  It was truly a scrap quilt.  I even pieced the batting.




I love the whimsy of the fabric that I used for the backing.  I picked it up on clearance a long time ago.  I knew it would come in handy at some point.




And now, a couple of my favorite Halloween decorations.  The one above is my first small quilt or wall hanging.  It is a pattern by Thimbleberries.  It's about 15 years old.  You'd have to see it in person, the colors are just so nice.




And this sweet witch was made by my mother in the 80's.  She flies over all our Halloween festivities.

Hope your day is bright and sunny and you are able to find time to create.
Robin

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

You have been so very productive, Robin. And each project looks great!
The pears look yummy! My Mom's pear tree produced well this year. We picked them before we went to MA, but the ones we left in the fridge are mushy now that we are home. :(
Cute Halloween decorations. Haven't put out a single one yet. Maybe you will inspire me to get on it tomorrow.

Marty Stanchi said...

Love the scrap quilt, is there a pattern for the Slap-Dash quilt?

Karen said...

I like the red and green quilt. Always a good color combo choice.

My parents had two of the yellow pear trees. I have always liked pears. Never tried a dehydrated one though.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...