Thursday, January 31, 2019

Wheel of Fortune blocks and Universe Quilt



I've been working on my Wheel of Fortune blocks.  They can be quite time consuming. . .




First of all I had to cut out 412 wedges for 48 blocks.  I'm not very accurate cutting with a rotary cutter and a plastic template so I drew a line around the template on the back of the fabric and cut them all out by hand. 




I sewed 9 wedges together to make a fan and then sewed the brown curved piece to the center.



I'm not very experienced sewing curved seams.  In fact, I usually draw a seam allowance on my pieces and hand piece them.  It's quite accurate.




That's what I did for these blocks;




I had an interesting experience hand piecing circles.  I made the quilt below quite a few years ago and decided to enter it into a show.  When I got the judges comments back I was surprised because I was marked down for my curved piecing around the big circles. The judge even instructed me a little on how I could improve my machine piecing.   I wasn't discouraged though - if the judge thought that my applique stitches were small enough and even enough to look like machine sewing - I took it as a compliment.




I have sewed all 48 fan blocks and need to decide what color to put in between them.  More curved piecing.

 I arranged the block (ignore the raspberry carpet) and cut some outside curved pieces, way more than I will use - sigh~




What I had in mind for background is to do a neutral on the inside and do the outside using the same fabric as the border.




It didn't look quite right.  Although I have to admit nothing goes with my carpet!!!

I've come up with another idea - I'll see how that goes.


I quilted a big stitch using black #12 DMC crochet cotton


I finished my Map of the Universe quilt for my 6 yr. old grandson.  He went to the dentist (poor little guy) and when his mom came back to pick up the other children, he wouldn't come in.  I guess his mouth felt funny because of the Novocaine and he had had a rough time.

So, I folded up the quilt and took it out to the car.  I was hoping to get a picture of him with the quilt but it wasn't to be.

Here is what the whole quilt looks like.



It is finish #3 for the year on this last day of January.  If I keep up at this rate, I'll really get a lot of things out of that storage closet.

I can dream anyway. . .
Robin

7 comments:

time4stitchn said...

Love your blocks. I saw the old quilt with the "flock" of sheep. I think your curve piecing is amazing, and the new ones are, too. If you need some more projects to finish, I would gladly send some of mine your way. Great fabric colors! I have only finished 1 UFO so far this year, but am slowly working on 2 others.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful Wheel of Fortune blocks, Robin!
I have tried curved piecing by hand and machine and for me, machine is easier. But I love the story about your judges comments. What do judges know? LOL
Oh, your grandson loves his quilt, I'm sure. Too bad he had a bad experience at the dentist and couldn't fully appreciate the delivery of it.

Nancy said...

I'm so amazed and impressed that you cut all the pieces by hand, Robin. Time consuming, for sure! But they look amazing. I don't believe I've ever sewn curves on a machine (or by hand, for that matter) except when sewing clothes which, of course, didn't have to be flat. One of these days I'll choose a pattern that requires curves, though.
It's surprising that the judge didn't recognize that your stitches were by hand and not machine. I would have taken that as a compliment, too.
Your poor grandson and his experience with the dentist. Once the Novocaine wore off, I'm sure he was thrilled with his quilt.
I was thinking of your "rut" from your previous post: If you're in a rut it's a beautiful rut!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

You are brave to machine piece those curves. They look perfect to me. Funny how judges can be so wrong sometimes. The judge's comment on your hand applique was pretty funny. I have had a few confused judges on some of my potholder quilts. Clearly sometimes they just don't know how to respond. So happy it didn't discourage you from entering in shows, because it would be a shame to not show your lovely work. I'll just bet your grandson was thrilled with that quilt. I have been saving celestial fabrics for my grandson for a while. Guess it's time I cut them out. Thanks for the fantastic inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Seriously beautiful...they look different and distinct. You have "THE GIFT".

Marti said...

Great post! I've always wondered how other people make this block. I don't really like sewing curves either, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Julierose said...

I love your wheel of fortune--what pattern did you use, or did you draft your own?
I've been thinking Dresden plate lately and I like this variation a lot..just beautiful hugs, Julierose

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...