Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Can't decide and SNOW DAY





The piece of fabric from this line "Meadow" by Blackbird Designs that really caught my attention is pictured below.  It's a beautiful slate blue with pink, mauve, and red blossoms.  So naturally I bought enough for a border.  That's what I usually do.  Then I buy a few more pieces from the line and make a plan.



My plan finally came to fruition last month when I decided to make a Wheel of Fortune quilt.





My decisions included what to use for the fans and centers which included the Meadow fabric and my Blackbird Designs scraps from Madeira and Chesea's Boutique.



I auditioned the pretty blue fabric for the background but it was too dark.  I got out a big piece of red Madeira fabric below and it wasn't right either.




I ended up using a creamy beige by Benartex on the inside and a beautiful light piece from the Meadow line on the outside.  I used the blue fabric as the cornerstones for the red sashing strips.




I tried to use the blue as the border but it was just all wrong.  This green piece of Chelsea's Boutique (with brown cross stitch on it)  worked out the best.




Then I added a narrow red border thinking I would add a wider blue border next.



But I again was hesitant about putting that blue border on.  The picture above just has the piece of fabric placed closely to the red strip, it's not sewn.  It just feels like the blue floral demands too much attention and detracts from the lovely center blocks.




I have 2 yds. of the toile from the Meadow line too and so I auditioned it for a possible border.
I'm not sold on that idea either.

I guess I'm going to have to let this quilt top age a little before the border decision is made.  Into the closet (the Big Top) it goes.  I was really hoping to finish it today - drat!

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion because I'm definitely in a quandary.

We are in the process of a delightful snowstorm.  I can say it's delightful because I don't have to go out in it.

Taken before sunrise


We have received over 10 inches so far.



It is a result of Lake effect





Here is my husband attempting to get our driveway clear.  He's trying to be so careful because he's still healing from breaking his rib.  He went to the doctor for a check up yesterday and they took another X-ray to see how he is healing.  It turns out he broke 3 ribs not just one!  He's healing slowly.  It makes a big difference when you are not 16 anymore.

Hope you have a lovely day.
Robin

9 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love everything you have done with this top so far! While I love that beautiful blue fabric, I think you are right in not including it or the white/red print as the outer border. That green border is really lovely and fits the quilt beautifully. If the top were mine and there was enough of the green, I would just repeat what you did for the first green border and call it done. Wouldn't that blue flowery print be a gorgeous backing for the quilt though!

Janet O. said...

They are beautiful blocks, and I do like the green--good choice. If I was attempting another border, I think I would want to find another black floral, like what you have used in the quarter circles of the Wheel of Fortune blocks. To me the reason the slate blue border didn't click is because it added another element, which competed with the rest of the quilt, rather than tying into an existing element. Just my 2 cents worth. You always find a great solution in the end, and I know you will here, too.
My sons in Holladay and American Fork have been sharing about the snow that has dumped on them--photos much like yours. And just 2 hours north of you, we are getting nothing that is sticking to the ground.

Karen said...

Blackbird Designs always has tempting fabric lines!

Barb said...

It can be tough to make those final decisions. It will come
I love the wheel of fortune blocks!

Kaja said...

Thank you for sharing all your decisions/choices. I don't often use borders so I find it very interesting to think about how they work. I especially like the way you have used the cream fabrics, it's very effective.

audrey said...

Love these blocks, but I think I've told you that before. It's so challenging to add on borders sometimes. LOVE the floral fabric, but I can see why you're changing directions. I'd probably hunt up one of the brighter blues, but you need to do what looks/feels best to you! And remember, binding can add that final bit of color to make the connecting border choice look all the better.:)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Well, it is perfect so far, so if all you have to do is find a perfect outer border you've got it made. I agree with Janet that a black background floral would be smashing. I think the blue in your floral was a little too soft. I know you will find the perfect piece!

Karen said...

What a beautiful quilt! I hope you are staying warm! :)

dq said...

The snow pictures are beautiful. We have snow this year but not because of any lake effect because we are in a high desert with no big lakes nearby.

I love how quilts sometimes tell us what they want. I often do what you did and purchase fabric for a certain purpose only to do something different. It all comes together in the end. Waiting is sometimes key.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...