Friday, May 31, 2019

I finished it - once again


I think it might need a narrow cheddar border or maybe cheddar binding.

I've completed  the quilt top with the "Old Maid's Patience" blocks - again.  I took out all the gold squares and replaced them with cheddar squares.  That was really no fun at all.  But the finished product has turned out as I envisioned.  I'm naming it Colby after a little town I visited in Wisconsin that invented Colby Cheddar.


This is the way the blocks looked after the first finish.  It's nice enough but rather ho-hum.  I unpicked all the alternating squares, I can use that fabric with almost anything so it won't go to waste at all.

Doesn't look like the same blocks, does it?


Here are the bright perky blocks with the new indigo alternating squares.  The cheddar fabric really reflects the light and shows up much brighter than it really is in both photos of the quilt.



Here are the rather drab previous blocks.  It was really a lot of work to unpick everything but I'm so happy I did.  Now instead of a "that's nice" quilt it's become a "look at me" quilt.


The basket block


I finished quilting the three bottom blocks of the 'Baskets, Berries, and Leaves pattern by Jan Patek.  You can see the full quilt on my sidebar.


This block shows the true colors of the background fabrics.


The personalized block

 I used the Lilac Hill fabric line on this quilt.  And speaking of lilacs, I couldn't help but include a few pictures of one of my bushes.




The Painted Lady Butterflies are migrating.  I've only see this one other time and that was when we lived in Colorado over 20 yrs. ago.  So, this is pretty special.





The Colby quilt top is the 9th UFO finish out of 16 since last August.  It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.  Now, that being said. . . I have finished 9 UFOs but 8 of them are still in the quilting queue.  Only one of them is actually a completed quilt.  But, I'm counting it as progress none the less.



This is the next UFO out of hiding.  This is for you Janet - ha!  Originally I was going to make a bed sized quilt.  But, I've decided now to make it the size of my kitchen table.  It didn't really photograph well, maybe it's shy.

Robin

This post was delayed and since writing it I have finished quilting 3 more of the blocks.  It's a slow go but it's because it has been cold in the basement where my quilting frames are.   Now it's quite comfortable with the hotter outside temps.  I'll be down there a lot, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I was looking on your side bar at "Baskets, Berries, and Leaves" and then searched your blog for a close up picture. How pretty in "Lilac Hill". I have the pattern set but never made a start on it. Nice to see it done in a spring look. You have done well.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...