Monday, June 10, 2019

Current project (pun)



I wasn't going to do Barbara Brackman's Hospital Sketches QAL but I was enjoying everyone else's progress.  And then, she posted the Cockscomb and Currents block here .  I've always loved this block and wanted to make one.

I bought  some fabric from the Old Sturbridge Christmas line by Judie Rothermel that came out over 5 years ago and have been waiting for just the right quilt project.  I thought it would be perfect for this one. 

I am going to use the block for a center medallion.  I'm making some Blind Man's Fancy blocks to go around it.  (Gotta love that block!)  and then a border and then . . .




The half square triangles in this block finish at 1 5/8th inch.  The tedious part of this is that I have to trim them down to 2 1/16th before I sew them together.  But it works!




This is the 2nd Blind Man's Fancy block but as you can see, I have some unpicking to do.

Sigh~
Robin

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.  Go check it out.

9 comments:

Ann said...

I love both of these blocks, too. They will make a great combination and your fabrics are delightful. Good plan to make Cockscombs and Currants as a medallion center. (I saw Barbara's QAL, too, but rarely join those. I have enough of a backlog of my own.)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Gorgeous! I am so glad you decided to make this. It is lovely!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your block is gorgeous! I love how you've mixed up the traditional red and green color palette by throwing in some pink; it gives great depth. Although I still don't understand why this BOM is called Hospital Sketches. With a name like that, I would expect applique blocks that look like the Biohazard symbol on the medical waste receptacles, and hand sanitizer dispensers, etc.

Janet O. said...

Oh, such a graceful, lovely block! Seeing it convinced you to make it--it would have convinced me to run the other way. You are drawn to such beautiful, complex applique. I admire that!

audrey said...

Beautiful, beautiful work! Love the colors/fabrics you've chosen!

Karen said...

Oh my! How well the green and the red stripey fabrics work in your quilt. I have not had time to stitch the coxcomb and currents block but so like the design. Good start on your medallion style quilt.

Nancy said...

All three of these blocks are just beautiful, Robin! The fabrics you've chosen are delightful together. I love them, but then I'm always a sucker for red and green together in quilts. Blind Man's Fancy is a new block to me -- so much detail, so many pieces. Yours are the perfect complement to the Coxcomb and Currants block. Love, love, love what you're doing here!
The only block I've finished for Hospital Sketches is the center wreath. I have it hanging where I see it often and have been thinking of using it as the center for a medallion quilt, too. If I do that it will probably not have all the charming details of your Blind Man's Fancy blocks, though.

Vicki said...

Love your applique block! This block convinced me sign up too :)

Susan said...

I know you unpicked it, but really - it's BLIND Man's Fancy, isn't it? I had to really search to figure out what you were going to unpick. =) You did a wonderful job on fabric selection and stitching the Currants and Coxcomb block.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...