Welsh quilt, biscuits/scones, and 1857 quilt
I've finished the center of the Welsh Quilt Study II. It was really fun to do and it quilted up pretty fast. The back looks like gray fabric but it is a pretty light clear blue. The paisley's are called Welsh pears. I used a nickel to make the circle in the center. I love the way these quilts are so intricately quilted.
This is the way the center looks from the front. The center includes the star and the toile border.
I'm working on the next border with corner 1/4 circles that include spirals and a flower.
|Shaped and ready to bake|
I decided I wanted to find the perfect biscuit (scone) recipe ever. I used to make pretty good biscuits but they haven't been turning out very good lately. I blamed it on the bread flour I was using and used some lighter AP flour for these. I also blame the fact that our margarine is so filled with WATER. Have you read the label? Some of them contain as much as 30% WATER.
|Fresh from the oven|
I don't like all butter (too rich for me) so it's shortening, or margarine for half of my lipids.
This is the recipe I used;
2 cups all purpose Flour
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup (4 TBS.) butter or margarine
1 cup buttermilk
Bake at 450 degrees
15 - 20 minutes
|Lots of pockets for butter|
I just mixed it with a fork until it was all moist. It was a sticky dough. I think I rolled it too thin but they 1. didn't raise much
2. were tender but sturdy
3. were not flaky
Although, it browned nicely and tasted good.
. . . . . . . I'm still looking for the perfect biscuit recipe.
I'm getting ready to applique the corner triangles on this heart block and then I'll have one of the four February blocks done. It's a good thing this isn't a race.