Thursday, October 26, 2017

3 Marigolds



I finished quilting this little quilt.




It's easier to see the stitching in this picture.  It took longer than I wanted it too because of the quilt repair project from my previous post.  But it's done now.  I'm not sure why I decided to do regular hand stitching because it is just a wall hanging.  But, it did turn out nicely so I'm not sorry I took the time.



I quilted a number on each pot.








And three little flowers in the space between words.  I've decided to give it away to a sweet little lady in Wisconsin for Christmas.  I can't wait for her to see it.




The fall colors continue to dazzle.  These are the trees I see from my kitchen window.




And, I'm a lover of clouds  so here are a few pictures of the display yesterday.  So fascinating!





I'm  linking to the AdHoc Improve Challenge.  Go and see what other quilting innovators have done.

Robin

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

So pleased to be done!!!

The 1940's wool quilt repair project is done done done.  It is such a heavy quilt with a top made out of old wool coats and corduroy pants and the original wool batting.  Whoa!

I originally started this undertaking here around the middle of August.  I actually got the quilt in July but it has taken me forever to decide what to do with it.  I rinsed it 3 times in cold water in the bathtub, let it drain over night, and then spread it out on a sheet over the grass in the back yard.  The red fabric bled terribly but it didn't bleed onto the adjoining fabric - just the original backing.

The dot in the middle is lint on my camera lens.
 I put on a new back keeping the old one and the original batting.  Then I had to quilt it together.  I used rather big stitches and they aren't very uniform but I have to tell you. . . . . . . . quilting through 4 layers of wool (the maker often didn't stitch in the ditch and I followed her original quilting lines) is a hand wrenching experience.


This quilt belongs to my DIL's father.  He made the label for it above.  Click to enlarge.  When my SIL saw the label she said that this quilt went from being a ratty cast off to becoming an heirloom.  I'm pleased to be part of that process.

This holey and weakened area needed a lot of attention.


There were a number of moth holes all over the top of the quilt.  I used matching tulle and tacked it over the holes so there wouldn't be any more fraying.


The white in the upper right is paint not a hole.  You can faintly see the patch job here.

I got better at it as I went along.  Perhaps I should replace the first few patches but I'm not going to.  Done is done.




NOW, I can get to the projects I had planned before this one came along.  I can't say it too strongly, "I am so pleased to be done!!!"


Walnut in front of Maple so you can't see how dazzling it is.


We are having a gorgeous fall.  We went to see the fall colors in Sardine canyon a few weeks ago and that was especially nice.  But, the trees around my house rival anything the canyon can produce.

Cutleaf Weeping Birch

This is another angle that shows the Locust in front and the pretty Maple behind.

Usually the Locust turns yellow and drops it's leaves before anything else starts changing so it's an exceptional fall - one that hasn't happened before.

I hope you're having a stitchy day!
Robin

News from Bonar Bridge

Hawaiian print quilt top is my daughter's project Here is a look at "Quilting Central" down in my basement.  Finishing up UFOs...