|about 85" X 93"|
Here is the completed little quilt. It's not a very good picture but you get the idea. It measures less than 25" square. It has a pieced backing - I didn't get a picture. The fabrics are from a couple of Deb Strain lines.
I used the one on the left but I just had strips and pieces. One thing about Deb Strain's reds, they are over the top saturated with color and there is absolutely no bleeding. Bonus!
Do you remember this quilt?
It is my Welsh Quilt Study II from a few years ago. I had it out on display and noticed something amiss. Can you see it? There is a big honking mistake that I had never noticed before. Once you see it - you can't not see it. I'm sure some of you noticed it before but were kind enough not to mention it to me.
I knew it was going to take a lot of tedious unpicking, rearranging, resewing, and requilting. Is that a word? I threw up my hands, folded it, and stuffed it in a cupboard downstairs. MAYBE someday I would fix it but I was in no mood at the time. It's been down there for over a year. It is like mending, my least favorite sewing task!!!
I could win a medal in unpicking!
I unpicked all the quilting, reversed the two offending strips, and appliqued it back in place.
The reason I missed seeing this mistake in the first place (and 2nd or 3rd) is because much of the hand quilting on a Welsh quilt is done from the back. Here I am pinning the shadows of the quilting on the back
And then tracing my quilt lines on the front with water soluble marker so I can hand quilt it once again.
I couldn't just use the shadows on these pieces on the front because they were now reversed and the quilting would not have matched.
It took me a few days of concentrated effort but it's done now. So another monkey off my back - whew!
I went to my quilt group last Thursday night. It was the first time I have met with them since February 2020. It was so good to see everybody and hear about their lives. One of the ladies is moving to Hurricane so she will no longer be meeting with us. We started out 18 strong when we began about 10 years ago but we're down to 7 or 8 now. We need some new recruits.
It was our annual potluck and exchange. I found two pieces of fabric and a quilt book that I wanted. One piece is an old Terry Clothier Thompson floral and column piece from 1999. It was a great find. The other piece might be just exactly what I was looking for to add some "oomph" to the Janet Clare quilt.
I hope I hope I hope.
It's raspberry season so I had some on my waffle this morning - yum!
Have a great day without problems, conundrums, or fires to put out. Bliss~