Monday, June 28, 2021

Mini quilt UFO done


I'm still trying to get caught up with some UFOs.  I decided to work on this little piece that I made from the leftovers of my huge Lady of the Lake quilt made from Valentine fabric below.

about 85" X 93"


I hand quilted the mini  so it took me a while to finish.  I called the above quilt Mayfair after my favorite See's Chocolate.


Here is the completed little quilt.  It's not a very good picture but you get the idea.  It measures less than 25" square.  It has a pieced backing - I didn't get a picture.  The fabrics are from a  couple of Deb Strain lines.



I used the one on the left but I just had strips and pieces.  One thing about Deb Strain's reds,  they are over the top saturated with color and there is absolutely no bleeding.  Bonus!




I call this piece Bordeaux after another favorite chocolate.




So I can chalk up another finish in my list of UFOs.  And, hopefully I'll remember that I made it so I can use it to decorate next February.



Do you remember this quilt?

  It is my Welsh Quilt Study II from a few years ago.  I had it out on display and noticed something amiss.  Can you see it?  There is a big honking mistake that I had never noticed before.  Once you see it - you can't not see it.  I'm sure some of you noticed it before but were kind enough not to mention it to me.

I knew it was going to take a lot of tedious unpicking, rearranging, resewing, and requilting.  Is that a word?  I threw up my hands, folded it, and stuffed it in a cupboard downstairs.  MAYBE someday I would fix it but I was in no mood at the time. It's been down there for over a year.  It is like mending, my least favorite sewing task!!!





While I have been stewing about what to use for the sashing and cornerstones on the Janet Clare quilt (in my previous post) I decided it was a perfect time to use my unpicking skills on this little Welsh quilt while my mind was relentlessly trying to come up with a solution for the other quilt.

I could win a medal in unpicking!

I unpicked all the quilting, reversed the two offending strips, and appliqued it back in place.



The reason I missed seeing this mistake in the first place (and 2nd or 3rd) is because much of the hand quilting on a Welsh quilt is done from the back.  Here I am pinning the shadows of the quilting on the back



And then tracing my quilt lines on the front with water soluble marker so I can hand quilt it once again.

I couldn't just use the shadows on these pieces on the front because they were now reversed and the quilting would not have matched.

It took me a few days of concentrated effort but it's done now.  So another monkey off my back - whew!



I went to my quilt group last Thursday night.  It was the first time I have met with them since February 2020.  It was so good to see everybody and hear about their lives.  One of the ladies is moving to Hurricane so she will no longer be meeting with us.  We started out 18 strong when we began about 10 years ago but we're down to 7 or 8 now.  We need some new recruits.

It was our annual potluck and exchange.  I found two pieces of fabric and a quilt book that I wanted.  One piece is an old Terry Clothier Thompson floral and column piece from 1999.  It was a great find.  The other piece might be just exactly what I was looking for to add some "oomph" to the Janet Clare quilt. 

I hope I hope I hope.



 It's raspberry season so I had some on my waffle this morning - yum!

Have a great day without problems, conundrums, or fires to put out.  Bliss~

Robin


10 comments:

Janet O. said...

Loving your mini and the quilt from which it came. :) Very cute! And I laughed at the comment that you hope you remember you made it so you can decorate with it at Valentines. Also, you must be well acquainted with Sees chocolates. I couldn't tell you what any particular chocolate is named, other than dark and milk, or nuts and chews. :)
Your repair on the Welsh Quilt has me in awe. First I just admire that you tackled it at all, and second, your methods are impressive and your finish is incredible!
The only quilt group I ever belonged to was at church and they disbanded years ago as most of them moved away or got too old, or passed. I was the youngest and I think there may only be one other from the group that is still quilting.
Love the looks of those raspberries on the waffle!!

Julierose said...

Oh that Bordeaux is simply beautiful--it does look like chocolate...yum
you do such lovely work...hope your fabric will suit you for the Janet Clare quilt--another beautiful piece...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh my, those raspberries look so good. We had great raspberries in Oregon but haven't had much luck growing them here yet. I had no problem with your quilt before you did the huge amount of work to fix the mistake I had a great deal of difficulty even finding. I applaud your persistence! And your finish is wonderful, though your "creative license" finish was wonderful too!

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I love your mini!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your little "candies" quilt is so sweet and those are some tiny half square triangles for sure! It's just beautiful. I'm fascinated with your Welsh quilt and wow, you really went the extra mile to fix your mistake. I don't think I would have seen it either had you not mentioned it. Your method with the pins is genius. I don't know anything about Welsh quilts and now my curiosity is piqued. It's great that you could get together in person with your quilting group!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fabulous mini quilt! It looks good enough to eat! I hope you don't mind if I link this post in with our monthly minis tomorrow. I know everyone will want to see this gem! As for your Welch quilt - wow! I'm not sure I would have fixed it. I am NOT an unpicker! I must admit that all your hard work paid off as it does look perfect now. Kudos to you!!

Chookyblue...... said...

wow love that mini.....very cool and great colours.........

Quilting Babcia said...

I had posted a comment yesterday but perhaps our thunderstorms interrupted the transmission. I love your little mini and the others too. Fresh raspberries - yum!

Denice Barker said...

Well, of course the mistake on your Welsh quilt would drive you crazy but it took some serious searching for ME to see it. I admire your willingness to fix it. I might have been tempted to say you planned it that way if anyone brought it up. And your Mayfair looks like raspberries dipped in chocolate to me. That says summer, not February!
Lovely pieces.

Nancy said...

Your mini is beautiful. I love that you used leftovers to make it. You are so creative! So, I have to ask about the name you chose for the larger quilt: Do the Mayfair candies happen to be pink mint and brown chocolate? And maybe Bordeaux, too?
It took me a good, long look to find the mistake in the Welsh Study Quilt II and, you're absolutely right that when you do see it you can't unsee it. I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation, especially because it was already quilted. I applaud you for your dedication to accuracy! I'm about to unstitch a top (and am grateful it's not quilted!).

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...