Thursday, June 3, 2021

Since last month


I have been on a self-imposed exile from my sewing room for the month of May.  Sometimes quilting takes over my life from hand quilting in the morning to designing in my head during lunch and reading blogs, to sewing in the studio all afternoon and on and on.  Meals get delayed or not done at all, and because of the pandemic there have been few extended family demands.

 I have been frustrated by the dearth of new patterns, new fabric, and new programs available for the last year (because everything was closed down) and have spent my time studying old magazines and patterns, using my stash (which is pretty good I've decided), and sewed like a mad woman to find peace in our troubled world. (I have managed to increase my stash by online buying - Hello Tilda!)

But, it was time to re-evaluate my priorities.  I love quilting, don't get me wrong.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the uninterrupted time I've had to indulge myself in all things with needle and thread.  Time is a gift.   But, it is time to get back to a more balanced life.



So Tuesday, June 1st, I went in the sewing studio and started a new quilt.  Makes sense, right?

I found this pattern in an old Quiltmania magazine and decided to make it up using all my Janet Clare stash.  I love her fabrics of shades of blue and beige and brown.  I've been more of a collector than anything and it was time to use all those lovely fabrics.



Then I remembered that I already had this pattern.  I had purchased it a number of years ago so I dug that out.  It is much easier following the instruction in English than sorting through the French/English and using inches instead of centimeters.  Quiltmania does have good instructions but the other pattern is much easier for me to follow and makes the whole experience less complicated.



This is and easy pattern anyway, just snowballs.  I will put a different border on the quilt.  Since the fabric is ocean themed and I have a little book of Janet Clare's with appliques of whales and seagulls, I will replace the flowers with flora and fauna from the sea.  Maybe a ship/boat or two will find their way into the border.


The dark blue has little waves in it.

 I've made four blocks so far.  I'm not in any hurry and there are only 30 blocks in the whole quilt.  

I need to spend the other time fixing, painting, reading, enjoying not feeling pressured to complete a project.

I will put a quilt on the frames to work on downstairs during the heat of the day.

The good news is that the quilt shops are open and are filling with fabulous things.  I went to one on Tuesday and could feel the creative energy flowing all around me.  Barbara Brackman's Ladies Legacy is finally in stores and the Halloween fabric was out (I love Kitty Corn!).  

Here is a list of the things I have done in the last year.

Non-quilty - I transcribed all my journals, compiled all the family history and pictures I had inherited, and sorted and got rid of things that don't really matter anymore.

Quilty

New quilt tops

1.   Cheddarback Quilt                       

2.   Earth w/her 10,000 flowrs            

3.   Hourglass Camp Quilt 1               

4.   Beyond Baskets                            

5.   Floral 36 patch                             

6.   All Around The Town  

7.   Brown bird mini                

8.   Pink & White Ice Cream Cone   


  


Quilted from previously made quilt tops

1.  The French Quilt                                       

2.  La Conserverie De Murray                      

3.  Manistique                                                 

4.   Fear Not Little Flock                                

5.   Alexander’s tied quilt                              

6.   Glory                                                         

7.   Valentine Quilt  

8.   Christmas in Cedarburg    

                                   


Quilted from newly made quilt tops

1.  Solace                                                        

2.  Blitzen Stars                                              

3.  Tiny Tree  mini                                                 

4.   Christmas Star mini                                   

5.  Comfort and Joy                                      


We're having the whole family over tonight for Navajo Tacos and Peach cobbler. 

 It's so good to be back together again.

Hope you are all safe and find joy in your day.

Robin


7 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I've long admired that very quilt Comforts of Home and hope to make one some day. Looking forward to seeing your version progress. I really need to close the door to the quilting room for a couple weeks and give this house a deep clean and finish planting the flowers but there's no will power to make that happen. Quilts last longer than a freshly cleaned house! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Nancy said...

I was interested to read "meals get delayed or not done at all." That sounds like our house!
The quilt you're working on will be beautiful, especially with the fabrics you're using. Are the little snowballs 3½"? I'm looking forward to watching this progress.
Reading your lists of finishes for the year -- wow, you are really prolific! Did you post photos of your Hourglass Camp Quilt I?
I was thinking about the photos you put together last year. What kind of an album did you use? Did you use photo corners or glue or albums with pockets, or? I really should get busy sorting and organizing photos.
So glad you're letting yourself quilt again, Robin.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That Janet Clare fabric is fabulous and your new project is too. I think it's wise to reassess occasionally and find balance. You accomplished SO much this past year, both in quilting and non quilting. I'm glad you got out to a quilt store both for the fabric and to feel that great energy!

audrey said...

Love the look of your new quilt and those fabrics will make it look even better.:) I get what you mean about a more balanced life. Enjoy your family!

Janet O. said...

I really like the simplicity of this quilt design, and yet the way it is put together in blocks of 9 snowballs each, it looks more involved. And I think your border ideas to fit the theme of the fabrics really make sense.
I agree that at times you have to shift your focus to find balance, and I enjoyed reading how you are making that work. Is it scary that starting a new quilt made perfect sense to me? LOL
I am also amazed at the incredible mount you accomplished last year. I won't be posting any such list. It would be so short, I'd be embarrassed! :)

Barb said...

Wow what a project list. So many accomplishments.
Your new project looks great and starting a new one is always the right answer :)

Kaja said...

I have always loved those fabrics and they sit together in your blocks in an intensely pleasing way. The blues and browns together are lovely and restful. I've given up on the idea of balance - lockdown was crazy, picking up real life again feels excessively full on, but what can you do?

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...