Saturday, May 1, 2021

Not quite the way I expected.


I finished the little pink and white quilt with the ice cream cone border.  It didn't turn out quite the way I thought it would - it's the fabric.  It's sweet fabric but from a distance the pieces with blue flowers in them look muddy.  I had hoped for a sweet feminine pink quilt.



I had to trace templates for the border but I've done that before so no problem, right?

Well, they were slightly too big and with this border it has to be exact.



So I sewed the first border and it turned out too big.  I had to increase my seams on every other cone.  It was a bit tricky but I was able to do it without having to pick anything out.

The picture above shows the increased seam allowance I used on the other 3 borders.  It's just barely bigger but it worked out very well.



I didn't steam press this so it looks very wrinkled.  I was able to sew the borders on minus the corner white piece.  Then I had to carefully insert it between the two pink side pieces.  By the time I got to the fourth corner (above) I had figured it out.  I need to unpick the other three.  I think I will mark the seam allowance and stitch them together by hand, that way I can be more accurate.



 And here it is (practically all finished).  I'm not sure what I will do with it when I do finish.  That's a decision I don't have to make yet.  It is a baby quilt size.  I've been wanting to make it for so long that it feels good to have it done but it would feel better if I had a granddaughter coming soon. (My last five grandchildren have been boys and I'm grateful for them - the little rascals!)

I think the binding on this quilt is going to be quite an adventure.  

Robin

It appears I can be talked into anything

This could be considered a squirrel project but since it's my granddaughter's and not mine - I'm not counting it as such.  I was...