Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Good light makes a difference

I am always seeking good lighting.  Our house faces N.N.W. and gets no direct sunlight through the windows between Nov. and the first part of Feb.  I am excited when the slivers of sunlight peek through the dining area window at last.

My sewing space is downstairs and as you know subterranean spaces are darker anyway.  We bought this house from an electrician and so one would think that it would have an abundance of light with outlets everywhere.  

The thing that is everywhere is light switches. 

This picture is with regular light

I bought a new lamp yesterday.  It is a torchiere lamp like we purchased for the missionary apartments when we were in Wisconsin.  It gives off great light.

This picture is with the new lamp.
 It is subtle but the brighter light (even better than my Ott lamp) gives me the clarity I need to quilt at the frames.  I haven't quilted for hours yet but I'm curious to see if my eyes don't become as tired.

Notice the bank of 8 light switches on the wall 
 The top picture shows the regular light that consists of three fixtures with three 60 watt bulbs in each. The picture below shows the 150 watt light at it's finest (in addition to the other lights which can be turned on by choosing the 2nd, 5th, and 6th switches - each fixture turns on one bulb at a time.

I know. . . . . . 



Isn't it glorious?  At last, good illumination in my downstairs retreat!!!



I bought a bunch of "Potluck" fabric by American Jane when we were in Wisconsin a year or so ago.  I've always wanted to do something with her crayon box colors and finally took the plunge.


I am making blocks for this quilt (based on an exchange) by Betsy Chutchian.
I am in no hurry, mainly because I have so many other things calling for my attention quilting-wise.
I'm just going to cut it out the blocks ahead of time and assemble one or two when I have some small pieces of time.



I don't know about you but sometimes I just want to sit at the sewing machine for a 1/2 hr. and it will be nice to have some mindless sewing waiting for me.


   I just thought I'd add this picture from Sunday morning.  Our apricot tree and daffodils are in full bloom and that's snow you see on the ground.  Spring is so fickle.

And one last thing - I made one of my favorite comfort foods a few days ago.  It is the easiest thing in the world.  I can't eat it without smiling.  Silly me, it's lime cottage cheese jello with crushed pineapple and chopped walnuts.  I don't know why I like it so much, I just do.
Robin

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

I've never had a torchiere lamp in my home, so I didn't realize that a lamp that is directed up could make such a difference. Must be wonderful to have good lighting now.
We have pretty much had nonstop snow for 2 days, now. But our daffodils aren't blooming, and neither are our trees. Still looks like winter only 2 hours north of you.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Am so blessed to have good lighting, and yes you are correct good lighting makes such a difference.

Spring has definitely sprung in the south--so many things are blooming and it is just beautiful

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Oh all of your projects look beautiful / love seeing your quilt in the frame. The new light sounds wonderful. I think I do more handquilting in the warmer months simply because I can sit out on the porch in the natural light. I do not have good lighting here and while home decor enthusiasts might shudder, the last time I changed the lightbulb in the fixture ( combo ceiling fan and light ) above the dining room table where I sew, I left the globe off. Ta da, can see so much better without it.

In the living room, while I have a pretty lamp on a table, it's an Ott Light that I used when I sit in the rocking chair to read. So when you say this new one of yours is even better I 'get it'! :)

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...