a couple of intermediate finishes
I finished appliqueing one of the four August blocks for the 1857 quilt. It turned out better than I thought it would and that is always a bonus.
|Do you like my make-shift ironing board? It's a bread board with a wash cloth. |
Hey, it works!
I'm starting the most difficult of the four blocks. It has intertwining circles to make up a larger circle. It can't easily be done with back basting applique which is my preferred method. So I am trying the starch basting applique. I just happened to have some "Ultimate Applique Template Paper" by Pearl P. Pereira Designs that is thicker and a little waxier than freezer paper.
|Donuts for the next 1857 block.|
I hope it turns out alright. And, isn't as tedious as I expect it to be.
I'm doing it in a pink/yellow combination. The yellow looks very gold in the picture but it's the back side of the fabric and not an accurate representation.
|Now, on to the border.|
I finished the applique lettering on the aptly name "Zip a dee doo dah" quilt top. I needled turned the letters and it was pretty awkward in the center of the lines. If doing this starch basting method turns out, I will probably use it when I need lettering again. I know many of you already do this but it's a new technique for me.
Have a nice Sunday,