Monday, September 17, 2018

A new beginning

Trying to decide what size flying geese to use.


I began my Improv challenge quilt this afternoon.  I want to make a map of my neighborhood when I was a child.  I'm trying to make a path using these tiny flying geese units.




These five units just measure 3 1/2".  I want to make the path from my house to my great-grandmother's house just a few blocks away.  We lived just a few blocks away from each other 50 years apart.  Does that make sense?




I thought it would be amusing to use this Red Riding Hood fabric because I'm going to Grandma's but I think I'll save it for a baby quilt instead.



 I want to put a bunch of greenery for the city blocks and I found this scenery fabric in my stash..  It has rocks, trees, foliage, bushes, and boulders.

I hope to work on this a little every day and post my progress .

Robin


5 comments:

Karen said...

I look forward to how you create your piece. You have a plan in mind and where the path leads. I like the Red Riding Hood fabric and the foxes too. (Red Riding Hood was a favorite story of mine as a child). I would like to see you use it but then it isn't my story to tell.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like a very interesting concept, and I look forward to seeing how it translates into the quilt.
I need to look up exactly where my grandmother lived when she was in Logan as a girl, because I know it was near where I grew up, but no one has ever pinpointed the location.

FlashinScissors said...

This is very interesting to me Robin!
I am joining in on an Art quilt challenge at The Endeavourers and our latest challenge is Improv which I’ve never tried, so I’ll be keeping an eye on yours for hints on “how to”!
Barbara x

Ann said...

You are creating some interesting interpretations. The prints have meaning and the flying geese are a perfect metaphor. And so tiny! Wow. I've been trying to figure out what prints to use in my map quilt. And yes, I'd use Red Riding Hood in this one.

Kaja said...

I like where you are heading with this. I like that you are working in time and space and that it's so personal. The flying geese are perfect for your path, so it will be exciting to see how you fill in the spaces around them.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...