Friday, December 1, 2017

It's December 1st



I made a tie for my brother today.  I used some scraps from a quilt (seen below) that I made a couple of years ago using his son's (who has passed away) shirts.




I still have a lot of fabric left over.  I didn't use very much making the tie.




I think it turned out kind of classy.




I used more scraps on the small end of the tie.  So far I've made them a quilt (60" X 60") a doll quilt out of the extra blocks, and now a tie. There is still  a bunch of material left over.  I think I'd like to make a tree skirt - hmmmmm?




I finished all 50 nine patches last Friday for Clue #1 of the Bonnie Hunter's new mystery.  I wanted to make OR at least cut out the 200 flying geese units for Clue #2 today.  But, I knew I better spend my time making Christmas presents.  Making the tie took me the better part of the day although I did stop for a leisurely lunch.  Starting from scratch instead of following a pattern always takes longer than I think it is going to.

I wonder if I'll get to the mystery tomorrow or if the next homemade Christmas gift will win out.

Making things is my favorite part of the season.  What's your favorite part?

Robin




9 comments:

audrey said...

Love that tie so much! What a special gift.:)

Chookyblue...... said...

Wow the tie looks great.......and the quilt you made looks wonderful to........

Ramona said...

Your tie is beautiful. What a special gift this will be for your brother. I love the quilt you made from his son's shirts, too. I'm looking forward to seeing your Christmas tree skirt! I love making gifts, too, but don't as many to make this year. My family has decided to gift our time to each other rather then things.

Karen said...

A patchwork tie. Now that is different. And it has a very classy look.

Janet O. said...

I am gobsmacked! What a beautiful tie--classy is a good word for it. Would never have thought of (or attempted) such a thing. Can't believe you worked this out with no pattern. It is amazing, Robin. Kudos to you!!
Love the quilt you made for them, too.
Having a list of projects I am trying to make for Christmas actually stresses me. Seems there is always too much I am expecting of myself, so a few years ago I decided to do more handmade gifts for birthdays, and try to keep Christmas more low-key.
I love the joy and warmth of the season--the celebration of our Savior, and I love the lights.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful gift ! :)

As to making things this season, I got a text from my oldest son asking for my sugar cookie recipe.

SAME TEXT LAST YEAR. I guess that they don't write anything down anymore :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I don't know why the above comment showed up as anonymous lol ... it's me ( Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow ) I must have done something wrong in the comment :)

Ann said...

What a wonderful tie. It's so meaningful to make all memories with your nephew's shirts and his dad must love this one.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

That tie is amazing--what a wonderful gift and so creative! I just started Bonnie's mystery on Saturday. I'm not making the full amount as I can't have another huge quilt around here--lol! I started making the flying geese but changed my mind on the colors so I will be starting over--sigh.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...