Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Mid-winter's Eve


 I put this quilt on the frames in October because I knew it would take me a while to finish.  I didn't finish it for Christmas but it was a delightful Christmas season working away on it.

I finished it on January 2nd but didn't have anyone who could hold it up for a picture.  If you remember my husband broke a rib last month and he's still not ready to hold up a
 75" X 94" quilt.  One of my sons and his family recently moved across country and are now living only 25 min. away.  So when they visited today he was glad to hold it up for me.




I had so much fun making this quilt.  The pattern is called "Sleigh Bells" by Jan Patek.




The snowman was my favorite block.




The church with the crooked steeple.




I like how the windows have lights in them because it is in the nighttime.  The quilting shows up in this picture where you can still see the white chalk marking line and the yellow thread.  I used four different colors of thread in this quilt; gold, black, red, and cream for the snow.




Here is a picture of the quilting lines.




I also finished this little quilt.  The pattern is by Cheri Payne.  It is so simple but is a nice combination of red and green.


It measures 24" X 18"



I brought the backing to the front for the binding.




I hand quilted this little beauty and put some little motifs in the setting triangles.




I backed it with a piece of Jo Morton fabric from about 2012.  It didn't take long to quilt but it sure took me a long time to get around to it!

So, two finishes already in January.  What a good start!
Robin

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, Sleigh Bells is just gorgeous, Robin! I love the colors you've used and your quilting is beautiful. With all the detail in this quilt there is so much to look at and enjoy. And, of course, the little Cheri quilt is too fun. I like the backing fabric you chose. It's so wonderful that you already have two finishes for the year! Good for you.

Barb said...

What delightful Christmas quilts! love those fans

Jeanne said...

Sleigh Bells is delightful!

Cathy said...

I love this quilt. I have the pattern and it is on my bucket list. The snowman is my favorite block too. Hugs

Janet O. said...

How fun to have been working on such festive quilts through the holidays. And now you have them all ready to enjoy next Christmas season!
Sleigh Bells is a wonderful folk creation. Looks great with the Fan quilting.
Cherie's little design is sweet and classic looking.
Isn't that nice to have your son move closer to home?
I have one daughter that close, but doubt any of the other kids will be that near again.
One son is in American Fork. How far is that from you?

CTNBEE said...

I am glad that you find time to share with us. Thanks a lot. I appreciate all your work. I know that it is quite time-consuming. Your blog is very exciting. I admire your every job

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what wonderful quilts! And now you are all set for next Christmas!!

Kaja said...

Wow! You are off to a good start; two finishes already and it's still January. I love the idea of quilting Sleigh Bells through the Christmas season, and now it's all ready for next year.

apiecefullife said...

I love your Sleigh Bells.
I have always been a big fan of Jan Patek and the old Red Wagon books as well. Is this a new pattern?

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...