Sunday, April 21, 2024

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading.

They just make me happy.


 

I've bee working on a UFO.  Do you remember when Barbara Brackman did the Civil War Sampler Block of the Week?  It was 2010 or so.  I made a number of blocks and put them together with an appliquéd border and figured I was done.  The top has been sitting in the closet waiting for it's turn, and waiting, and waiting.  

I got it out to look at it and felt like it needed more.  So I'm making 36 more sampler blocks to go around the outside.  It's a fun finishing project because the blocks are 8" square and I get a couple made each day.  It's like a couple of finishes a day.    Wohoo!  I've got 21 blocks made so far.  That block at the top needs a different colored border.  The red is just too intense.

I got a root canal last week.  It was fine until it wasn't.  I was in a lot of pain and I had a slight fever so I had my husband go pick up the antibiotic prescription.  The pharmacist told him to tell me to drink lots of water.  Great!   It's been an interesting week

 




I went shopping for new carpeting Saturday.  The basement is finally all painted, the old carpet has been torn out and taken to the dump.  So, it's time to pick out a color.

Above are the colors that the first store I went to had to choose from.  Really?  I found two samples of color other than brown or gray.  I'm not a gray decorating person and I was hoping for something with a little more vitality than brown.  I don't know what I'm expecting but we'll go shopping again tomorrow and hopefully find something I like.




My youngest son's family came over Friday night for a short visit.  I don't know who had more fun, my son or the kids.   (Sorry the pictures are a little grainy).






I was out hunting for a new geranium plant and found this cute little flower.  It's an annual so I'll only have it for this summer but I'm anxious to see how it does.  The yellow is just so vibrant.



It is a Calibrachoa.  I've never tried to grow one so it's something to look forward to.


This geranium, the same one that is pictured at the top, has white buds that you can see on the outside of the blossom.  It is just so pretty.

"Long experience has taught me that people who do not like geraniums have something morally unsound about them. Sooner or later you will find them out; you will discover that they drink, or steal books, or speak sharply to cats. Never trust a man or a woman who is not passionately devoted to geraniums."         Beverly Nichols, Merry Hall


Robin

5 comments:

Julierose said...

What a beautiful geranium--I've been looking for a new geranium for my ONE indoor garden sunny window...
I used to have a big collection of the scented ones in my other house...somehow they didn't survive the move here. I don't have many "plant windows" in this house and our heating ducts are mostly underneath a lot of the windows so that heat dries my plants out..
Nice that you are enjoying finishing up your quilt...;)))
hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your geraniums, I always have them in my garden, happy memories of childhood. Your end paragraph is a delight to read, I shall write this out and have it on the wall above my computer, it's perfect.
I laughed when I read your mention of hunting for new carpet and that brown or grey were the predominant colours available, I would have passed on these - husband is very fond of both these colours, we differ greatly!!!

Linda said...

Hope you are feeling better tooth (or non-tooth)-wise! I am always underwhelmed with carpet choices and usually attracted to something that is beyond my budget. ;) I love Calibrachoa and have used it in flower baskets. That one is really pretty.

Denice Barker said...

Geraniums are my favorite, too. I think there is nothing happier than red geraniums up against a house. I love the caliope red variety for that. Our weather is supposed to finally be nice after today so I'm off to the garden center to stock up. And I love the quote at the end! It's absolutely true!!

Nancy said...

Your geranium is beautiful, Robin. I've never seen one like it before! The color is one of my favorites.
Your sampler blocks look great. Yes and yes to a couple finished each day. (I like the red around the 9-patch block, but maybe I wouldn't if I saw it in person. Colors aren't always accurate online.
I so sorry your root canal went wrong. They're never fun but worse when there's an infection. I hope things are better by now.
It seems like grey is a popular colors these days but I couldn't live with a grey carpet. I hope you found a color you like. I always have trouble choosing colors when it's for something that will be in long-term use.
Hey, I see your Cheddarback/Children's Hour (is that what you called it?) hanging on the wall. How fun!
Isn't it just like young dads to enjoy projects/play as much or more than their children?
I don't know that I'm passionately devoted to geraniums but I do especially love the scented variety. (And I don't speak sharply to cats, or drink, or steal books.... ;-) ) That's a fun quote.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...