Friday, August 16, 2024

Summer meanderings.

I haven't posted much because I don't really have much to show or much to comment on.  But. here goes.

 I sure haven't done much quilty-wise this summer.  I can't seem to get the momentum going.

I have my son's Christmas quilt on the frames (see picture on the right) and am about 2/3rds of the way through with the hand quilting.  I'm doing 'big stitch' so it is going a little faster than it might.

I've been doing a lot of genealogy.  I spend hours on the computer, sitting at my kitchen table.  It's amazing how the time flies.  I hope I'm not getting hunched shoulders because I find myself bending over the computer without being aware of it.

I started a bears paw quilt in an effort to use up some of my brown fabric stack.  I finished the sixth block this morning.  This isn't going to get done anytime soon as this rate.



I've missed my monthly quilt group, "Bound Together" for about 3 months in a row.  I finally went at the end of July.  One of the ladies was getting rid of  all kinds of stuff.  I wasn't interested in anything until she held up this piece of fabric.  It isn't my usual colors but there was something about it that I just couldn't pass up.  This is a picture of the fabric with the sun shining through.  I just put it up at my back door to get a picture.


And this is a picture of the the truer colors.  You can't believe how soft this fabric is.  I think it is drapery/upholstery fabric that has been washed.  It's just wonderful.

Years ago my grandmother worked in the drapery department of ZCMI.  She would give my mother colorful bright remnants and that is what my summer clothes were made out of.  I remember a particularly bright orange print that she made into capris for me.  It was the 70's so you can imagine the color combinations.

I'm not sure what I will do with this but I'd love to just frame it with wide borders of cloth and do whole cloth quilting.  

So soft. . . . . . . 


I can tell the autumn is just around the corner.  The 'Jack in the Pulpit' are changing color.





The pumpkins are getting big and changing color also.




The cloud dynamics are changing too.  We've had a very hot dry summer and this week alone we've had two deluges (is that a word?) in two days.  Everything is healthy and green again.



I made homemade hot dog buns for a family dinner last night.  They turned out great.  I cooked Brats in the oven.  It was really slick but the flavor sure doesn't compare to the ones cooked on the grill. 




I started a new applique project.  It from a block I saw on Pinterest.  Again, I'm moving like molasses and not get anything done very fast.  



Here is the block.  Isn't it the cutest thing your ever saw?  Those little birds are tiny so I have to be at my best (in the morning when my eyes aren't tired) to do a quality job with the applique.  The original block is small.  I made mine about 20" so I can use it for the center of the quilt.  I'm not sure what is going to surround it but I don't need to make that decision yet.  


One thing I do enjoy about summer is the fresh basil.  I have a tomato, mozzarella, and basil sandwich at least twice a week - yum!

If you are still with me, you are a true friend.  

I hope when the heat backs off I'll have more energy and more interesting things to say.

Robin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sandwiches look yummy. Glad you’re back. Dotti in CT

Julierose said...

Love that fabric --I thought at first you had covered a shade over your door's window with it for real;)))) Anyway--it would make a lovely "whole cloth" piece and be fun to quilt; it sounds so soft to the touch that needling would be easy on the hands I think.
[That sandwich does look yummy!!]
We really need a good few days of soaking rains here--just dribs and drabs here and there this summer...
I am still sewing lego strips--but not much energy here either.
Finally booked myself a haircut appt. after letting the last debacle of a cut grow out...fingers x-ed as this is a new hairdresser.....it seems my whole life someone or other is saying to me,
"Don't worry, it'll always grow...!!!" ;((((((
Hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Oh my, that fabric is gorgeous! Your pumpkins look amazing. How wonderful to see mountains when you walk outside - it is my dream. I always struggle with the shaping of hot dog buns, and those look perfect and delicious. The bird applique - so cute! Yum on the sandwich - that is my kind of eating. :D I'm with you on the "not much happening" front. I've found it difficult to get moving on any project for several months.

cityquilter grace said...

summer just begs for lazy sometimes but love the fabric, the applique and the yummy looking sandwich

Mystic Quilter said...

Sometimes we strike lucky with a piece of fabric we see and buy but just can't see where we're going to use at the time, at some point inspiration will strike! Looks like you're going to have a good supply of pumpkins at your pace soon, love the colour of the flowers. Yes, the applique block is definitely a beauty and a good size at 20" - I'm finding your picture of your sandwich ingredients are making me fee pretty hungry! ry!!!

Nancy said...

The piece of fabric is beautiful. It looks painterly to me, a la Monet, almost.
Talk about lack of momentum. That's me in spades. No momentum, no enthusiasm, no creativity.... One of these days. Your son's quilt looks great!
I'm so glad you got rain! We're really dry here, too. And such beautiful clouds and clear blue skies.
Your hot dog buns look good. I have a recipe for buns but even though I spread out the dough, it seems to pull itself together, then rise way higher than I normal bun.
Your new applique block is so appealing--a little traditional, a little primitive. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

audrey said...

I think a lot of us have been feeling a general malaise this past summer. Doesn't help that the world is burning up or going crazy or whatever you want to call it. Just lots of unrest and uncertainty. Your new piece of fabric looks wonderful. Hoping you find the perfect spot in a quilt for it! And I am loving your new applique project so much! Just looking at yours makes me want to start a version for myself! Let me know if that would be upsetting to you. I think it could make the sweetest start to a brand new quilt and maybe be the answer to one of my balky fabric stacks!:)

Summer meanderings.

I haven't posted much because I don't really have much to show or much to comment on.  But. here goes.  I sure haven't done much...