Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Ad Hoc Improv Quilters challenge


I just noticed those two orange HSTs in row 2 that are side by side - gasp!  I may need to do some rearranging.


All the things that are going amiss in the world make quilting seem rather insignificant.  But, it is what I turn to when I want some peace.




I finished the top for the Ad Hoc Improv quilters (see link-up here) quarterly challenge of using words in a quilt.  The blocks made me think of bears (Bears paw) and when I think of bears I think of Yellowstone Park.  This was going to be a camp quilt from the start and what better place to go camping?




I used a random mix of unrelated scraps and fat quarters.  There are cows and maple leaves, violins, tape measures, chili peppers, sunflowers, apples, and uglies.  It measures 76" X 90".




I've been stitching a little on the Marigold quilt.  I just love the play of light and shadow when something is hand quilted.




Looking at it just makes me happy.  I only have the words left to quilt and then I can bind it and hang it up.





We went on a trip to Kentucky last week to visit our son who is stationed at Ft. Campbell.  We arrived in pleasant continual drizzle.  It was kind of like those big round shower heads - a leftover of Hurricane Irma.  So, so sad.  It just gave them rain in the Kentucky/Tennessee area unlike the remains of Hurricane Harvey that flattened fields of corn with the wind and flooded fields and basements with the constant rain.

 I took my "Rising Sun" blocks to hand piece while sitting in the car.  I was able to finish 9 blocks!  That's amazing for me.  I finished one block while we drove through a snow storm in Wyoming on the way home.  It helped me to relax as I sewed instead of watching the road.  Here are the previously pieced blocks with the new ones.




This was the "rising sun" one morning as we were driving east.  I wish I could have captured the bright orange glow it was producing.  It was pretty special.







And then, the whole point of going so far - the grandkids.  Too cute!







We went to Ft. Defiance in Clarksville Tennessee for a reenactment but only got to see some of the cannons and a few people dressed in period costume.  Oh, and we got to see the remains of the original earthen fort.  I didn't realize the Confederacy was trying to defend themselves with only dirt for walls (that's all they were able to quickly come up with).  No wonder the Union won that particular battle.




I haven't been working very much on my applique.  I've started another basket block.  It will have a large center flower and 3 more petals on each side fanning out.  It kind of looks like a moth with those feathery antennae and the hovering wings.  I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the month.  That's doable, I think.




Another view of the Yellowstone Park quilt top.  I don't know when I've had more fun making a quilt top.  I gained energy from the colors, I was using up scraps and cast offs so the fabric was free, it made me think of childhood trips with my family, and it is cheerful.

Off to get more done,
Robin

14 comments:

Nancy said...

I can imagine how fun making the Yellowstone quilt was with all those bright, beautiful fabrics. And free is great. I love the marigold quilt, especially with its perfect diagonal stitching. I remember the long drives across Wyoming and Nebraska when we drove to and from BYU-I when my daughter was there. I wasn't quilting at the time. If I had been I'm sure I could have finished quit a lot of quilting. How fun to see and spend time with your grandchildren and their family.

Ann said...

Oh, Robin. What a perfect camp quilt. Love all your points: free, colorful fabric, fun prints, bears = Yellowstone. Your word piecing is so cute. Then the marigold quilt. You found such a clever way to divide the word. Looking forward to seeing that one done, too.
Thanks for linking a great post with AHIQ. It's such a treat to learn how different quilters handle their challenges.
I hope you had a great visit with your son and grandchildren.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

We do a lot of traveling and I always stop in a quilt shop somewhere along the line. And buy something local. I am not as creative as you are though. I need to be more free and improv like you! thanks for sharing

Doris said...

Your Yellowstone quilt is so colorful and bright. The rising sun is gorgeous - handpiecing? I cannot imagine doing it. Great job!

Kaja said...

It's always fun to see how differently people approach a challenge and I like where this challenge led you a lot, and love that Yellowstone is going to be a camp quilt. I too like the look hand-stitching gives, and your marigolds are looking lovely.

Cathy said...

Oh, how wonderfully scrappy that Yellowstone quilt is. I can't believe you would notice (or gasp) at two orange HSTs together. I still don't see them. How did you make your letters? They are so nice and neat. Looks like the perfect camp quilt to me.

Three Marigolds is just plain fun and so cute.

And I love the Rising Sun blocks. I'm not sure my hand work would look so neat if I did any on a car trip.

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

WOW I just love the vibrant Yellowstone quilt! I can see how you gained energy from it! And yet more letters on the Marigolds. So much accomplished on your drive and the grands are adorable! : )

audrey said...

Love your camp quilt! The story makes is all come together and of course you had to put 'yellowstone park' on it! Great fall colors and use of scraps. Your marigolds look wonderful with the quilting. Perfect touch!

Chookyblue...... said...

Lovely quilt...... Sometimes we have to ignore life as it gets overwhelming....

Karen said...

I don't see the two oranges together. So many different fabrics used in the quilt that I don't think it makes much difference. We camped in Yellowstone over 40 years ago. It was good times.

Northern Deb said...

Love your bright and scrappy bear paws!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I keep spying your Yellowstone quilt and love it more each time I see it. So clever to combine bear paws with Yellowstone. But then all your quilting is special!

Monica said...

Your bear claws look awesome! That's one of my favourite blocks. I would leave the orange -- a little repetition can be a good thing to engage the viewer. Great finish!

sanpiseth40 said...

I enjoyed over read your blog post.
Your blog have nice information, I got good idea from this amazing blog.
I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again…
ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...