Monday, July 16, 2018

Unrelated thoughts and projects

I decided I wanted to do something different - instead of the fish weathervane block for the Sweet land of Liberty quilt.  I have the SLOL liberty pattern but have inadvertantly misplaced the fish block (along with the remembrance embroidery block).  I like the fish block.  It has a bit of whimsy that I can identify with.  But, I wanted to add some more words to the song, so this is the block that I came up with.



I found a sheet of Cheri's lettering.  I don't know if I found it on her facebook page with all the free patterns or if it came with the SLOL pattern but I used those letters to stitch this line from the "My Country tis of Thee" song.

I'm pleased with how it turned out.  The tree trunk looks a little like the mast of a ship and the flag is the right shape to be on  a golf course.  But, I'm satisfied and since it's all stitched down. . . it must be finished.




I sewed the two blocks for July together and finished appliquing the tree branches.  Now on to finishing up other projects. . .

Or not!

My quilt group is having a scrap quilt challenge for the next 6 months.   I have my small scraps sorted in these bins from Costco.    So, I thought I would start with them.




I got out the bin with the red fabric in it first.




I've decided to make 179 nine-patches to make this little quilt.  It will be something easy to work on for a few moments at a time.  I have finished 38 red nine patches, 2 green ones, and am working on the blue next.  Those 2 green patches sneaked in because the fabric was in the wrong bin.  This is kind of like a leader-ender project.  I have till December to finish.







I mentioned (in an earlier post) that my friends husband had died unexpectedly.  I've wondered if she will try and make something in his memory when the shock wears off.  Losing someone or a pet can really leave a void in our lives and it's so comforting to spend time making something in their memory while we are grieving.

When our son David died at age 3 1/2 ( he would be 34 if he were still alive) I wanted to keep my hands busy with a significant project.  I wasn't into quilting yet but I was into cross stitch.  This is the project I chose to do.

Maybe some of you remember this pattern from the 80's.  It had a matching little girl with a tea set.




It was a comfort to make and has been a comfort to view and remember our sweet little boy.

I hope my friend can find some solace in working on something to keep her husbands memory alive.



This is a picture of my closet with the tops waiting to be quilted.  I think I counted 17 on the hangers and there are 3 tops on boxes underneath.  Sigh~

I still think they're great (except maybe that green one on the right) and want to finish them.  I guess it's a good dilemma.  I could have nothing to do and no fabric to play with.  That's much more discouraging than having this closet full.

Robin






12 comments:

Ann said...

I like your tree; the aspects you mentioned (mast & golf) show up. Good job. Losing a family member is so hard; I’m glad you found a project to work on and remember your darling son by. Not that we ever forget. My Quilting Sister and I made memory quilts for everyone from our dad’s and other sister’s clothing. I have a plan for my mother but it’s not a quilt.
Always love scrap quilts. Have fun.

Sherrill said...

I LOVE the tree and the lettering looks fantastic! I can't imagine losing a child--I lost my DH nearly 6 yrs ago and still (nor will I ever) haven't gotten over his loss. Miss him every day!

audrey said...

Yes, what a great looking tree and your lettering looks wonderful. I know what you mean about needing something to do with your hands while dealing with grief. Looks like you chose something that had meaning and therefore were able to keep slogging along. I loved the pic of your quilt tops hanging in the closet! Mine are all folded up into drawers in a cabinet or else, underneath my cutting counter in plastic bags. It's does seem excessive at times, but I comfort myself with the idea that I could totally quit piecing tops and still have hand quilting projects for probably about 2 years? hehe

Karen said...

I am impressed with your flag block. I like the wording and the design.

Your closet with the tops......looks oh so neat. I probably have as many tops as you or more waiting and my closet certainly is not neat like yours. I do have other quilting items mixed in the closet that contributes to the messiness.

Janet O. said...

Really, really like what you designed, Robin! It is a great block!
I loved making the quilt top from my Dad's shirts, but my shoulder needs to get a lot better before I can quilt it.
Several years ago a friend suddenly lost her husband. I offered to make her a memory quilt, but she still has not been able to bring herself to go through his clothes. :(

Lori said...

I love the applique and words you chose for the Liberty quilt!
Your difficult xstitch is very precious.

Nancy said...

What a great solution to the lost fish pattern, Robin, and perhaps even better than the fish. I love it! Your flag seems to sparkle in the breeze. You know, all along I was thinking we were doing "America the Beautiful." So last night I looked up the lyrics and couldn't find the words you embroidered on this block and wondered how you'd chosen them, wondered if you'd created your own new lyrics. Now, today, I reread your post and realize that the song is really "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Ha! (And maybe duh, too.)

What a heartbreak to have lost your adorable little David. Oh my goodness, I can hardly imagine it. I'm so sorry. I think it does help to have something to occupy our minds and/or our hands after the death of a loved one. We can either quietly think and mourn, or, depending on what we're doing, not think and just keep our minds and hands busy with something else. Your cross stitch is beautiful.

What a lot of tops you have to be quilted! There are a few of them I'd like to see laid out. (Well, maybe all of them....) That tan one, just left of center, with the red and green? Have you posted photos of it? The background is a beautiful color. I have only five or six tops awaiting quilting but if I keep going the way I am, the number will grow and I'll be even further behind! I can applique or I can quilt but I seem unable to do both at the same time, at least with so much applique to do for these two sew-alongs I'm participating in.

Kaja said...

I love the way your block turned out and rather like that it is a tree, but also a mast. I also like all your tops hanging in the closet and am glad I'm not the only one with a pile waiting to be quilted. I'm glad that you have your cross-stitch to remember your lovely son and that it kept your hands busy as you grieved.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I like your improvisation. When are you going to get those tops quilted? ha. We all experience loss. The older we get the more it seems to happen. A few years ago we lost 3 people in 6 months. It was unreal.

Kim said...

Your Sweet Land of Liberty blocks are great, I so enjoy seeing all the variations don't you? So sorry about your son David, he looks like an adorable cherub, I hope you get to be reunited in heaven. Happy Sewing I consider quilting to be part of my well being and it looks like you do too.

dq said...

Robin,

I hang up my quilt tops and their backs too. I think it makes for less wrinkles to have to press out when you are ready to quilt them. Plus, they look so cute lined up in the closet. I just lost my quilt hanging closet though. My son is finally home after two years of service and has been given that room until he heads off to school. I suppose it will stay his "at home" room until he gets married some day.

I love your Sweet Land of Liberty block. I have had so much fun looking at everyone's personal changes to the blocks. Your tree with the words is PERFECT!

I just love your Costco totes all colored coded and all. I might need some of them (ha ha).

Your cross stitch work is beautiful and the story behind it makes it so special and meaningful even to us as your readers. Thanks for sharing. My daughter's friend just lost her 6 day old baby last week. It was heart breaking. My heart is full for those who have lost a child.

Susan said...

I like the changes you made to both blocks. I will have to think about that. I've only finished the top row - 3 parts. I'm working on part 4 now. So far, it's taken me 2.5 years - nothing done last year at all!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...