Friday, March 29, 2019

I don't usually make

quilts using such bright spring colors.  I'm more of a dark and deep color quilter.  But, it's spring.  At least that is what the calendar says and I wanted something cheerful to put on the wall for the Easter season.



I machine appliqued this in 2014.  After finishing my Christmas quilt during the Christmas season I thought it would be fun to hand quilt another project appropriate to the next holiday.  Although I have a Valentine colored quilt top




that I could have chosen, I wanted to work on something that would only take a month to quilt and not three.





I hand quilted little swirls to give the bunny fur more texture.  I then cross hatched the basket.




This basket got a little scallop treatment.  It doesn't necessarily look woven but I like the texture the scallops give.




This picture is a little dark but I want to show that the little pink basket got a zig-zag treatment.




I just did echo quilting for the cat.  It might of been nice to give him a face but I didn't think it would show up.




I think my wing placement is a little off for these ducks/chickens but it's a folk art type pattern so anatomical accuracy is not the main focus.




A little swirl on the tail




and more scallops around the border and it's done.  AND, it's still four weeks till Easter so the little quilt will be hanging a little while.




And while we are talking spring I thought I'd give you readers who live in the midwest and east a heads up.  This is what I woke up to this morning and it's headed your way.

Happy Spring!
Robin

I'm linking up with Kathy at Slow Sunday Stitching.

8 comments:

audrey said...

Such a sweet looking quilt! Your machine quilting is the perfect touch.:) That snow though, Ugghh!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love this little spring/Easter quilt. Your quilting is very lovely and just perfect for all the critters. Do you quilt on a domestic machine or longarm, or both? I hope that snow doesn't get this far east, we seem to be in the middle of mud season here though and until things green up in another month or so, it is pretty drab.

Janet O. said...

And this only took you a month? That is a lot of hand quilting--this would have taken me AT LEAST the three months you mentioned for the other quilt (which would take me years).
It is so very soft looking--perfect for spring.
You got snow two hours south of us--we only got rain!

Deb said...

I just love your Spring quilt and the stitching you chose work great.

Nancy said...

I love this Easter quilt, Robin. The bunny is adorable and the baskets are charming. I especially like the purple one (maybe because it reminds me of a Cheri basket). Is your applique raw edge or did you turn the edges under? It's hard to tell from the photos. Congrats on a sweet finish.

Kim said...

I love your Easter bunny quilt! It dances with such pretty springtime colour. All the quilting is perfect. Gosh you fashioned this pretty in next to no time! Fingers crossed that Spring shows up at your place soon.

Laura said...

Beautiful Easter quilt! I'm sorry you still have snow.

Kaja said...

Your Easter quilt definitely has a spring-time feel to it, even if your weather isn't taking any notice of the hint.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...