Friday, May 17, 2019

Last minute project



My sister-in-law asked me a year ago if I would finish this quilt for her.  A person she knows was going through her mother's things and didn't want the unfinished quilts.  She was going to throw them out or give them to Goodwill.  She didn't have any use for them and didn't value them at all.

My sister-in-law talked her out of this one.

When I first saw it I noticed it had been stitched in "Big Stitch" and thought it wouldn't take much to finish it.  So, I agreed to do it.

Well. . . my sister-in-law is coming next week for the reunion and I realized I hadn't done a thing to the quilt.  I hadn't even taken it out of the bag since it was shown to me last year.  GASP!!!

I got it out Monday and began quilting.  Much to my surprise, I wasn't just finishing up a quilt that was mostly quilted - I was finishing up a top that just got started with the quilting.  I have been quilting about 5 hours a day to try and finish it.  I've only got 11 more rosettes to go and then the binding.  I think it's do-able, she won't be here till next Thursday.

Wish me luck,
Robin

6 comments:

audrey said...

You are a wonderful in-law and friend.:) I bet it feels good to bring it to the finished quilt top stage though. So much work to be tossed to the Goodwill!

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow--you are a much nicer sister-in-law than I am. LOL
And apparently you are a much faster quilter, too. Good luck, Robin. It will be wonderful when finished.

Kaja said...

Quilting 5 hours a day is showing real dedication. I echo what Audrey and Janet have said and hope your hard work is fully appreciated. Lovely to think this poor quilt will have been rescued too.

Turid said...

Sure you can do it. Good luck.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Good luck! I'm so glad you are able to finish the quilt and make sure it goes to a good home.

Nancy said...

It's a beautiful quilt. It's too bad so little of it was quilted, but you are a wonderful sister-in-law to hurry to get it done before she arrives. I don't believe my fingers could hand 5 hour/day of hand quilting, even it were big stitch. I'm sure you'll get it done. I hope your sister-in-law will be ever so grateful!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...