Saturday, June 6, 2020

In my happy place




Sorry this is a little blurry.  This certainly isn't what I was entering my sewing room to work on.  I have an under-the-bed box full of old scraps that I really want to get rid of.  Well, get rid of by putting them in a scrappy quilt.  I even had one particular fabric (that I've always called the "Godzilla" fabric) that I was going to cut up first thing.

There were several items on top of the box that had to be removed before I could open it up.

One of the stacks had the leftover HSTs from my previous project below.




I began thinking hourglasses because that is the current prompt for the Improv group.  

So I assembled them together to make hourglasses and had just enough for 9 blocks.  Then I wanted to put a lighter sashing between them but decided that just a solid color was kind of boring.




So I put various 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" rectangles around them and then added four corner stones.  Orange is not really the color I had in mind but I wanted to do something different and the orange adds some needed vitality.


Using orange made me think of the alphabet fabric I used for backing a couple of months back that had an orange grid to it.  So I put a small 1 1/2" border around it.






Then I wanted to repeat the gold from the hourglasses and I came across this outside fabric that is from The Quiltmaker's Gift line 2002.  It has little birds on it and added some whimsy to the little quilt.  


The next border is going to have words on it, both to repeat the letters in the first border and then it's always fun to put a message on quilts.


So, I still haven't dipped into the scrap box and ""Godzilla" is safe for one more day - ha!

Robin

PS  I'm using the new blogger and haven't been able to find an adjustment to enlarge the pictures.  It's a big learning curve here. . . 

7 comments:

Julierose said...

I love that orange addition--really makes everything pop nicely.

I hear that the new (not improved!!) blogger is a real pain in the patootie!! Why, why why? At least you got to post on it-- so you
must be doing something right...
I am hesitant to try it...I don't like change...
Julierose

Cathy said...

I love your flowers blocks. Your scraps quilt reminds me of sunflowers. Hugs

Karen said...

The pictures enlarge nicely when clicked on. I have not tried the new blog version but always a learning curve and sometimes very frustrating.

I am waiting to see what the godzilla fabric looks like. I can see you had a creative journey going with using scraps from under the bed. I don't have scraps under my bed. Instead, there are wool patterns in two containers. In the corner of my bedroom, I have containers of Lori Holt style fabric. In my bedroom closet, I have Cheri style patterns in two crates. And crates of wool fabric.

Nancy said...

What a fun quilt, Robin. As you were telling the process of creating it I was certain the hourglass blocks would be dominant but seeing the finished quilt, those orange squares and the sashing are stronger. Great choices all the way around, from beginning to end.
I tried the new blogger and couldn't get far enough to write a post. I don't know who decides the improvements but I doubt they ask bloggers what they'd like most. In my opinion, each subsequent "improvement" to blogger is exactly the opposite. I'm still wishing we could use the blogger before the one we were using in May. Thank goodness we can go back to what Blogger calls "legacy Blogger" -- at least for a while!

audrey said...

Your flower blocks are looking so wonderful! Love them. And good for you moving forward with the houglasses. The sashing really is more interesting pieced than just from one fabric. Looking forward to where you go next with this!

Janet O. said...

I love what you created and hearing the process you went through as it came together.It is a cute little quilt.
I had a play with some scraps in my sewing room today and also ended up with hourglass blocks.
And I am so curious to see the Godzilla fabric! :)

Kaja said...

I like this a lot! Those bits of orange really do make everything sing. I always enjoy watching quilts that grow one border at a time, so I will look forward to seeing what comes next.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...