Saturday, May 30, 2020

Making good use of my time at home

I just finished up transposing 20 years of journals, 1973 - 1993.

That is what I've been working on during this "unprecedented" time.  I started mid-March and I worked on it a little everyday.  These years were  during what I call the "thick" of my parenting time.  I am exhausted!!  It was a busy, emotional, exciting, joyful, tumultuous time with deaths, graduations, teaching, enforcing, comforting, constant chauffeuring, and realizing how human I am, warts and all.

I had journals in spiral notebooks, steno pads, sheets printed from a matrix printer, and just loose pieces of paper.  I also included letters in the mix. I knew if I didn't transpose all that confused mass of memories it would just get put in a box and forgotten. 

The uninterrupted time I have had for the last 2 1/2  months was perfect for this kind of project.

I used the scissors for a size reference.


I need to go on to the next collection of papers but the binder I was using is full so I'll have to start another one.  That's okay I've got 27 more years to fill it up.


I didn't get anything done on my Alice Jane Blue quilt this month unless you count unpicking this map


so I can replace it with a different map fabric.  This green just didn't look good with the rest of the blocks.

Go check out the others that are participating in this sew along.
Karen at Log Cabin quilter
Cathy at Big Lake Quilter
Julie at JulieKQuilts
Rebecca at Quilting in a polar bear garden
Nanette and Jan at  Do it right quilter
Jennie at Over the hill and running.

Hopefully I'll get more blocks done soon.
Robin

4 comments:

Karen said...

What do you mean by transposing? Are you just sorting and adding to a notebook of some sort or are you actually recording what you have written in the past to a new method of sabving them? I don't know if my question makes sense. I have never been a journal writing person and admire someone that has for so much of their life. It will be a treasure for your generations to come.

julieQ said...

I am so intrigued about your journaling! I would love to know more about the transposing of your feelings and words. Lovely applique!

Janet O. said...

Oh, good for you, Robin!!! That is something I NEED to do, but honestly, until I get Mom's history finished, I don't think I will tackle my journals. Do you still keep a faithful journal. I have been so bad since my kids have left home.
I will be interested to see the new map fabric.

audrey said...

Sounds like your making good use of your time being home. Wish I could be more efficient. There's a lot of things that would be a better use of my time, but I seem to waste a lot of it.:)

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...