Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Sweet little underdog

This picture is a little light but it shows the 2" grid quilting.


I finished the quilting on the little 1857 quilt from a SAL in 2015 by Gay Bommers of
Sentimental Stitches.  There were 60+ blocks but I only did 30 so it ended up measuring 59" X 71".

I quilted it with a big stitch using DMC Pearl Cotton.  I have a color card from my cross stitching days and it's for floss and pearl cotton so I was able to match the background fabric perfectly




The backing is a piece of fabric that I've had in my stash for a long time.

This is a better picture of the true colors of the backing fabric


I used it to border another quilt. It was cut in strips because I just used the white stripe.  So I sewed long 3" strips together to make one side of the backing.  The other side is regular yardage.






  As I was doing the quilting I found a little hole in the background fabric.  You can see the little white place inside a circle on the right of the heart.

My DH came up with the idea of just appliqueing a circle over it and another circle on the other side of the heart to balance it.  I will do that today.


Again, a little washed out. . .


This picture shows the "fleur de lis" border all the way around it.  (and the exercise equipment in the lower right corner - ha!)

This poor quilt has had a hard time and as a result is very dear to me.  There is one block that I back basted the corner diamonds on it and then when I was trimming the back - I started trimming the background instead of the applique so I had to repair it.  It is really hard to find  but it's there.  I also got a little off as I was marking the grid but there again, unless you are absolutely studying the quilt top, it is hard to find.

I marked it with blue washable marker.  I rinsed it twice in a tub of cold water to get the markings off.  The first rinse water had a slight dirty look to it from the brown backing.  The second rinse was clear.

I put it in the washer on the drain and spin cycle.  Then I put it in the dryer until it was just barely damp.  I took it out and spread it on the bed to finish drying.  It didn't shrink as much as I thought it would and I'm glad.  I used an 80/20 batting by Hobbs.

I'll make those little circles this morning and then the quilt will be complete.

Thanks for checkin' in,
Robin

8 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely, charming quilt; that backing looks like a Ginny Beyer fabric--I used to love her strip patterned ones in the day....
This looks just right on your bed...
You do such nice work ;)))Julierose

audrey said...

Super looking quilt! Your quilting sets it off perfectly. So sorry about the small hole, but as you say, should be easily fixed. Love seeing all the beautiful applique in this one.:)

Quilting Babcia said...

Such a wonderfully lovely quilt, and your hand quilting is the perfect finishing touch. Do you try to preshrink your Hobbs 80/20 batting or use it straight from the package?

Ann said...

I've done something similar when I found holes in my quilt at this late date. Adding an extra circle is very clever. It's a lovely quilt and a wonderful finish. Hooray for you.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I adore this quilt! I have loved the pattern since I saw the quilt for sale at the auction. I am so thankful that Gay bought it. Yours is simply stunning! I love the background fabric (despite the little hole). Love the madder backing too. I guess I love everything about it!

Nancy said...

Sweet underdog, indeed! It looks like a winner to me. I love the variety of applique blocks and how well they all work together. I don't see any wobbles in the quilting and if I did, I would say it's perfect on this quilt.
As I was trying to decide how to quilt the blue and grey quilt in keeping with Civil War quilting I learned that they often quilted diagonal lines, eyeing them up as they quilted -- no marking for them.
So sorry about the little hole. Appliqued circles on both sides will look just fine. Will you use a color or match the background?
Congratulations on a beautiful finish, Robin!

Barb said...

congratulations on a lovely finish! The backing is great too.
Yay for big stitch hand quilting.
The initials in the center made me smile.
What an heirloom quilt you've made

Karen said...

I can't see the little white part you refer to but will take your word for it. The creative idea your husband came up with will solve the problem nicely. I have read of people adding a patch over the top of rotted fabric in a quilt so much the same idea.

The quilt is beautiful and has special stories to go with it. Did you write about the slip ups in one of your journal pages?

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...