Monday, December 21, 2020

Once in multiple lifetimes




I've been wanting to make this little (and I do mean little) quilt by Cheri Payne.  I keep thinking about it and today when I decided it would be fun to make a little something to commemorate the conjuction of  Saturn and Jupiter tonight, a quilt was born.   They are calling this  'Christmas Star" and it hasn't happened for over 800 years.




 So I went through my fabric stash and collected all the red and neutral fabrics I could find with stars on them.  And then I got busy.



And in no time I had this cute little thing put together.  I think it needs a star appliqued in the middle, some light quilting, binding, and "Voila".

It's a little wonky so I'm going to take out one seam to even up the top border and then let it look homemade like the rest of Cheri Payne's things do.

It was a fun couple of hours.

Hope you look out in the SW sky tonight around 5:30 MST and see something no one on earth has ever seen before.

Robin

To see the finished quilt look at the Christmas Star post right.

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

I love this, Robin. What a great idea!!
Now I want to make a change in the little quilt I am making to commemorate the star tonight. We are driving over the mountain in a few minutes--afraid the Wellsvilles would block our view from here.

Julierose said...

We are hoping for clearing skies--right now it is very foggy here...
Your little commemorative quilt is just adorable...
Love it...good luck viewing hugs from super cold CT Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm afraid it was too cloudy here this evening to see the Christmas star, very disappointing. I hope it's clear there and you're able to view it. Your little commemorative quilt is about the only thing worth commemorating this year. Have fun finishing it, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Nancy said...

I love this little quilt with all its stars, Robin! It's charming. I agree, a star in the center would be great.
Were able to see the star? I was not because we've had thick clouds and rain all day. They say we should be able to see it tomorrow, too, so I'm hoping for clear weather.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Absolutely perfect little quilt for such a rare and exciting event. Hope you don't mind if I link you up with my mini post this month. I know everyone will enjoy this! Merry Christmas.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a great idea and perfect little mini to remember this star.

Kaja said...

I looked out and saw only clouds, but I like knowing that something special was happening even if I can't see it. I like your little quilt as a way of marking the occasion.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a fun little quilt. I have been eyeing Cheri's patterns for years, and will be making at least one of her patterns one of these days. It was too cloudy on the 21st, but I did see the Christmas Star on the 22nd. Still wonderful. I hope you were able to see it too.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...