Friday, December 4, 2020

Decorating day and fond memories


Temecula Quilt Company has been revisiting their past Christmas SALs.  There are some fun ones in there.  It reminded me that I had never finished the mini Christmas Tree from last year.  I tried to hand quilt it a year ago but I didn't like it and picked it out.  And then it got put away.

I did narrow vertical machine quilting and bound it with a red/gold metallic fabric.  

It measures 11 1/2" X 14".  Just so cute and tiny.


I've been working on the "Fear Not Little Flock" quilt since last month.  I'm getting about a row a week done.  I have almost finished 4 of the 6 rows so I think I can get it done in time for Christmas.


 This shows a close-up of the big stitch quilting.  (Ignore that piece of lint on the gold arc.)

We got our tree up and now I'm making a mess of ornaments and decorations before I can get it all organized.  I'm getting rid of a lot of decorations this year.  I still have the cute Country stuffed stuff from the 80's and 90's.  Some of them need to be retired but most of them still look good. . . it's just time.


These three ladies are just a drop in the bucket.  There are a lot more.  My mother made these and sold them to keep my brother on his mission (Sweden) back when you paid the prices in the country  instead of a each missionary having the same general expenses we have today .  The angel hangs on the wall and the mouse is built on a bowling pin.  Good memories.

Hope things are looking festive at your house.

Robin

6 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I think the vertical straight line quilting is perfect for your litte tree quilt. Sometimes the simplest route is the best one when quilting is concerned. Good luck with finishing the lovely quilt on your frame before Christmas.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your little tree is so pretty and the way your finished it is perfect. The whole grouping with the tree and snow globes is so cute. Oh ya Sweden must have been an expensive mission. So was Japan. It's nice that the cost is equitable now.

Barb said...

the little tree quilt is charming!
Love your snow globes too

Nancy said...

Your TC tree quilt looks great where you have it, with the real tree and the snow gloves. Great finish for you, Robin.
I really like how you're quilting Little Flock, most especially the double row of stitching in the arches.
Isn't it a big job to go through all the ornaments and decorations when trying to decide what to keep and what to pass on? I haven't done it yet just because it seems like such a huge, almost emotional, job.
Our only decoration so far is the Christmas tree with lights. The Christmas Spirit is eluding me this year.

Janet O. said...

Your little tree quilt is darling. It turned out so well!
The big stitch quilting on "Fear Not Little Flock" looks so good. Kudos to you for doing the double rows of stitching. I'm afraid I would take the quickest way out and miss the added punch the double rows give. You are really moving along on this!!
Oh, I remember that era of Christmas decor, and still have a bit of it myself. Didn't put any of it out this year, though. Like you, I need a good purge. Still, it is hard to get rid of some things that have a lot of sentiment attached.
I did a tree of all handmade ornaments this year. I even used a set I made back in the 80s that I have saved, but never put on my tree before! There is everything from cross-stitch and stained glass, to quilted and crocheted ornaments.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like the tree in the first photo. I am glad you finished it - very festive. I am still going through my holiday supplies to decide what needs to go and what can stay. I think a smaller collection of precious things will be much better than a random hodgepodge of things.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...