Tuesday, November 3, 2020

One Last Look

 I know you are all tired of seeing this quilt top but I finished the border this morning.  

So, one last look. . .  the true color is the strip at the top.  


I learned how to drive and took my driving test in a little seagreen VW so added one.

I found some fabric in my stash, Krystal by Michael Miller.  But, I didn't have enough so I luckily found some online and ordered it.



The fabric that arrived is the beautiful piece on the bottom.  It isn't the vendors fault, they sent exactly what I ordered.  But, it was too bright.  So I cobbled together some lengths of the piece I had, only two seams.  And was able to come up with enough to go around the quilt, but, the borders are an inch narrower.  I can't really see much of a difference.

I am so happy to have been motivated to get this quilt done.  I honestly thought it would just be found at the bottom of a box someday, when I'm gone, as an unfinished project.  My kids would throw up their hands and exclaim, "Not another one!"

I started it in 2004 (as I've mention before).  The other three BOMs that I started that year are;



A cute wall hanging by Connecting Threads.




A basket quilt from Thimbles and Threads that I call "The Merit Quilt".  It was from the Gingham Rose line by Moda.

And then I made a  paper pieced sailboat baby quilt out of 1930's prints that, as you can imagine, has been well used and is not photograph worthy any more.

So, as of this morning, I'm all caught up to 2004.  

The only problem is that I've been merrily making more tops in the last 16 years so I'm only 20 quilt tops and 12 UFOs behind.  That's one less than yesterday.  

Hey, it could be worse. . . 



I gave the Blitzen Stars quilt to my daughter Tina.  She loves snowmen and I was able to find the snowman yardage from this line on sale so it became the backing.

She is the oldest of my two daughters that got married 6 weeks apart in the same year, 2004.  It was a busy year for stitching because I made both of their wedding dresses four bridesmaid dresses, one mother's dress, tablecloths for both and I wonder why I didn't finish my 'All Around Town Quilt'. . . ?

It's done now - yippee!  The quilting will be a piece of cake compared to the applique.
Robin


8 comments:

Julierose said...

Are you kidding me? how could anyone be bored looking at your lovely quilt?? I mean really now...
It is so beautiful, Robin..
Your daughter looks thrilled with her quilt--isn't that great??
Hugs, julierose

Nancy said...

I really can't imagine getting tired of looking at this quilt, Robin. There's just so much to look at, so much to see. I think it's spectacular! I think your border fabric enhances the quilt beautifully. Since I didn't know it was intended to be an inch wider, I didn't notice.
That basket quilt is a beauty, too. And Tina looks so pleased with your (her) beautiful Blitzen Stars.
Good for you to get so much done!

Quilting Babcia said...

It's just amazing how adding that border defines the whole quilt, bringing everything into focus. Just what it needed. Somehow I don't think this one will be a UFO for much longer.

Janet O. said...

Ha Ha, I love that you added the VW. :) It is a great finish, Robin. It is delightful, and so many details to study--I could never tire of it.
My goodness, I can't believe all the sewing you had to do in 2004!!!! I am amazed that you even started a quilt, let alone 3!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's a fun quilt, and it's nice that the border came together despite mail order hiccups. Cute photo of your daughter with her quilt! Isn't that why we quilt? A form of creativity for ourselves, and love for those we love!

Rebecca said...

Love the touch of the little VW on the border!!!!
I keep looking that that style of quilt and thinking someday. lol

Humm I wonder if I can find that pattern after 14 years.

audrey said...

Great work on your applique quilt! Lots of details getting to the finish line.:) And I think many of us are in the same boat, lots more quilt tops than we should probably have. Oh well. It's so much fun in the making!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That quilt top is absolutely gorgeous. No such thing as showing it too often. I've been showing the same quilt all year. It is from 2002. I have older projects that also need to be finished so I completely understand your situation. Congrats on getting to 2004! You are farther ahead than me!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...