Friday, February 5, 2021

Closer to being done and aching joints

 I've been working on the Comfort & Joy quilt since November.  I finished the inner part today.

It's smaller than I was expecting at 47 1/2" X 62".



It needs a border and the one on the pattern has more applique.  Between hand sewing in long stretches and the side-effects of my Covid shot,  my hands are really sore.  Well. . . . all my joints are sore.  So this little quilt isn't going to get an appliqued border.  

One idea is to sew three borders on it.  First a stop border, then a border of 2 1/2" assorted squares of the fabrics used in the middle, and then a larger border of the same fabric as the stop border.  I was hoping to use up my box of Christmas scraps from my mother's 90's stash but you know how that goes!  I think I have more than I had when I started - ha!

I don't have any pieces of fabric that are large enough for the border so I'll have to do some shopping.  I was going to go find some today but I've got a fever so I figured I better stay away from others.

I had Covid in June.  I've heard those that have had Covid 19 have a more difficult time with side effects from the vaccine. My son, who is a teacher, says the teachers that he works with, that had Covid, are having a harder time.  Not good news but it helps to know what to expect, I guess.

Robin 

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Sorry you are dealing with these side effects, but I am glad to hear you have been able to get the vaccine.
This is a really fun Christmas quilt, but it is plenty busy, and I think your border plan is a good call!

Julierose said...

Oh sos orry to hear about your covid side effects....hope you feel better soon...those aching joints cannot be fun!!
Your quilt is looking beautiful...take care hugs, Julierose

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I'm sorry you are having side effects from the Covid shot! I was wondering if people who have already had it, need to be vaccinated. Take care. Your Christmas quilt is so joyful with so many elements to see. I like your idea for a border! I've done similar borders before and it is very unifying. And it will use up more of the scraps.

Nancy said...

Comfort and Joy is such an interesting quilt to look at with all the different blocks. There's just so much to see. I think plain borders (plainish, that you've suggested) will be great (and maybe applique borders would be too much -- overload on the content of the quilt?).
I did not know that people who already had Covid were getting the experimental vaccine. I'm sorry you've had some negative side effects, especially the aching joints. Ouch!

Cathy said...

This quilt is on my bucket list. I love yours. The fabrics you used are perfect. I'm still waiting to hear about getting the vacine. Hugs

Quilting Babcia said...

Your ideas about more plain borders makes sense since there is already so much going on. I'm sorry to hear about the effects the shots are having with folks who have already had covid. My husband had it in December and he's been experiencing a lot more joint and muscle pain now. We won't have the vaccine for months yet, there's practically none available in our county even for all the first responders. I hope your pain goes away soon.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...