Monday, November 29, 2021

End of November


Still working on "Love Letter's".  I sew on it every day (except Sunday).  I sew until my back aches or the muscle on the back of my thigh complains.  This is usually about an hour.  These aging bodies sure complain a lot - ha!



I have seven blocks completely machine appliqued.  I tried to do the harder ones first so the easy ones would be left at the end.  I was wrong. This coxcomb block is going to be a bear going around all those curves.

I was at Canadian needle nana's blog last week (a delightful blog) and she had a link or I clicked on one of the blogs she follows.  Anyway, I came across some Red & White quilts that were so great.  I still want to make a Red & White quilt someday.  A few of the quilts were from the book  'Patches of Blue' by Edyta Sitar.  This book is all about blue and white quilts but the ones that were made in red and white instead were really what interested me.  I ordered the book from Amazon.

Well, I searched through my history and found those quilts on Gladiquits (another great blog).  Click on her name for a quick quilt show.  Gladi's quilt is the crib quilt - so nice.



You probably remember seeing this quilt online a few years ago.  The book came out in 2017.


 I want to make this quilt in red and white and put in more trees.


I also want to add this branch at the top of the houses.

If I wasn't toward the end of the current quilt I'm working on I'd start right away.  But, I determined to finish "Love Letters" before I start anything else.

That's the end of the quilty stuff.    I went outside about an hour ago.  I was struck by the vivid blue of the sky.  It makes even this crowded corner of our yard look nice.  It was a balmy 46 degrees outside.



One of the things I love about this time of year is the tree skeletons.  They can be so artistic.  So, here are a few in my yard.

Peach tree

Cutleaf Weeping Birch

Lilac

Trio of unknown trees

Autumn Splendor Maple

Grapevine

 Have a great day.  I caught a 'no fun' cold and sore throat over Thanksgiving so I'm homebound.

Robin

7 comments:

gladiquilts said...

Thank you Robin for mentioning my blog on your post! I'm glad the red and white quilts were an inspiration to you - happy to post them! I enjoy your blog.

Julierose said...

Love Letters is coming along beautifully--I can surely empathize with your aching back;000. Aging bodies certainly yell at you to STOP!!
Pretty Winter trees --I love bare branches against the skies...
That book looks like a really good one...hugs, Julierose

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Robin, those blue quilts are lovely and would certainly look great in red. Good luck with your Love Letters quilts and take care of that no fun cold.

Ruth said...

I stopped in from juliekquilts. I noticed that one of your favorite books is Witch of Blackbird Pond. I recently read another one of Elizabeth Speare's books, Calico Captive. I was fascinated to read at the end that it was inspired by an actual journal kept by one of the main characters. Perhaps I will be able to read Susanna Johnson's Narrative one day.

Janet O. said...

That looks very tricky to stitch around those curves with your machine!
I love blue and white quilts even more than red and white. (So why have I never made one?) The quilts in this book really tempt me.
Tree skeletons--I like that term. I've never thought of them that way. You have some great ones. My favorite in my yard is the curly willow, from a start given to me many years ago by an elderly lady that lived almost a mile down the road. She has been gone now for many years, but I think of her every time I see that tree.
Hope you get feeling better soon!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful blue sky! I love the tree silhouettes, especially the Autumn Splendor Maple and the grape vine. I guess I've never noticed a lilac without leaves. Beautiful.
I have often thought of using reds instead of blues for some of Edyta's patterns. I think they would be equally stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing yours, whichever you choose to make first.
Your Love Letters block is looking good. Isn't that the way it happens sometimes: we choose what we think will be the hardest and leave the easiest, only to find that they're hard, too! I hope they're not too hard and go quickly for you.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

I am working, ever so slowly on love letters too! I'm doing mine by hand but yours look beautiful ❤️. Many hugs, Mary

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...