Monday, February 7, 2022

Good Morning!

 Breakfast was a warm cup of Ibarra Chocolate (cocoa), a dish of home canned apricots, and a slice of date nut bread.  Some of my favorite things. . . 

A shout out for Julie at Julie K Quilts who sent me this quilty package of goodness. 



I won a drawing on her blog for the cute zipper key ring bag.  It so sweet and citrus-y you can almost smell the lemons.  She included some red and white fabric - bonus!  I immediately cut some hearts out and sewed them together for my 9 yr. old class at church.  



Didn't they turn out cute?  Thank you so much Julie.

And in case I forgot, I'd like to thank Janet from Roguequilter for some of her fabulous homemade soap at Christmas.  She is one of the most thoughtful bloggers ever.  I'd share a picture but the bars are no longer in a state for a beauty shot.  sigh~

Thanks so much to both of you for your considerate and welcome gifts.

I decided to take out the 2 floral house blocks from my current house quilt project.


The whole reason I wanted to make this quilt was so I would have a red and white quilt.  I love this fabric so I thought I would add it to the mix.



It did look cute but it wasn't the vibe I was going for.  



So, they have become orphan blocks.  But, I don't think they'll stay orphan blocks for long because they would look great in a Christmas quilt.

I machine  quilted a long time UFO on lSaturday.  It is just a mini but it's one of the first things I put together when I started quilting in earnest in 2002 or so.  As soon as I finish the binding I'll get a picture.  It's simplicity and innocence give me some good memories.

One of my sons called Saturday afternoon and said he wanted to have a family dinner and would provide the food but could we have it at my house.  That was great!  Not everyone came on such short notice but he brought halibut and salmon from his fishing trip to Alaska and pumpkin cookies.  I made a fruit salad and opened some bottles of green beans.  It turned out great.

I didn't have any whipping cream for the fruit salad.  I sometimes just use yogurt but that didn't sound good.  I found a small package of instant banana pudding in the pantry.  I made that up with less liquid than it called for so it would be extra thick.  I'm not sure I would do it again but the salad was completely gone at the end of the evening so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Hope you have a great day!

Robin

10 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I agree with you about Janet and her generosity and beautiful soaps! So cute that you made the hearts for the kiddos at church;). And how fun to have a spontaneous (and delicious sounding) meal with your son. I love seeing your houses and wherever they end up, they will be great. This was such a cozy delightful post to read on a rainy day here in NC!

Heidee Lindsey said...

Emily loved her heart and showed it to me first thing when I visited! The house quilt is really looking good. i love it. Also congratulations on your win! quilty prizes are always so much fun!

julieQ said...

HI Robin, I am so glad you enjoyed your gifts. Your house blocks are marvelous...I love them!

Sandy said...

Your red and White House quilt is coming right along, and is going to be a stunner. You were right to remove the floral houses, beautiful as they are. I vote for making a mini! Your family dinner sounds yummy, especially the fresh fish. The banana pudding with fruit salad? Sounds good to me!

Quilting Babcia said...

Sweet hearts for your church class is a super idea. I love your red and white quilt progress, and know you'll find just the right quilt for your orphan red and green house blocks. Lucky you, halibut and salmon, two of our favorite foods!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Robin, those houses in that lush fabric are beauties. Red and White House quilt is like a classic. Sounds like a great get together.

Janet O. said...

What a nice win from Julie. She is a sweetheart!
That was a clever way to put the red/white fabrics to use. I'll bet the kids enjoyed getting them.
I am glad you liked the soap--and glad to hear you are actually using it (some just tuck it in a drawer for the nice scent).
I love those floral house blocks. That is a gorgeous fabric--but I think you made a wise choice in removing them. They have their own vibe and they call attention to themselves among those other houses. I'm sure you will find a good way to use them.
Your family dinner sounds delicious! Someone brought me salmon from a trip to Alaska, but now I have to remember to defrost it on a day that we will be home, so we can eat it. :)
The banana pudding was a clever save on the salad! Every now and then I buy some of that boxed Gossner's shelf-stable whipping cream, to pull out for just such an emergency. Do they have that in the stores down there?

audrey said...

The red house blocks are looking so good. I can see why you didn't want to use the printed fabric afterall, the vibe was just a little bit off. Great to have family dinners and not have to do ALL the work!:)

Kaja said...

Your breakfast sounds delicious, as does the family dinner. I like the red house quilt a lot, and those two orphans, which I look forward to seeing in a Christmas quilt at some point.

Nancy said...

Your breakfast sounds delicious, and nutritious, too.
What great fabrics and bag Julie sent. Such fun hearts, and a fun vignette with the Valentine dolls. The children in your class probably loved the hearts.
I love those red-flowered houses but I think it was a good decision not to use them with the other solid red ones. And especially because you goal was a red and white quilt.
Your family dinner sounds grand! I wish my daughter and other family members lived close enough to have short-notice meals together.
Good save for the fruit salad.

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...