Monday, February 28, 2022

Busy Quilting Day


I have got so much on my mind of quilt related things I want to get done.  The first one is to get the next  quilt ready .  It's time to get it on the frames.



I got the backing made last week from a Charles Wysocki piece (I love Charles Wysocki's art).   I had to add a strip down the middle to get it wide enough. 



I thought it would go pretty well with the top because of the cheddar color in the windows.  The stripe is a blue ombre piece from the Wiscasset line by Minick and Simpson.  I used some of that fabric in the stars on the front.



Here is the quilt top all ready to pin baste.  It laid  so nice and smooth.  I had it pinned in no time.



And here it is ready and waiting.  I'm going to quilt it using "Big Stitch" and cheddar colored DMC Pearle cotton.  I'm not sure of the design for the solid blue squares but I have some ideas in mind.  I'll just have to see what looks best.



I am almost finished with the Cheddarback/Children's Hour quilt.  I just need to quilt the block with the flying geese, the last sashing strip, and the brown star block to the right.  I like to have the next quilt ready to sit down and quilt before I finish the current one.  That way I don't waste any of my actual quilting time because it's ready to go.  



I am always surprised to find a mistake when I'm quilting because I think that mistakes should be found and corrected during assembly.  BUT,  I found a gap in this log cabin block.  The fabric in the strip to the right of the pin doesn't have a seam allowance.  It just stops at the edge of the piece it's supposed to be sewed to.  I guess I was in a hurry.  



I put some fabric glue on it and  decided to sew a circle over the mistake to give it some stability and a little whimsy.  I used some of my Jo Morton Little Women fabric.




It's not very  noticeable with all the other things that are going on in this quilt.

I found another problem on the opposite side of the quilt top where I put another face to cover it up.  It was a hole caused by the pin I used for pin basting.  It is quite noticeable so I may need to come up with another idea.



I've also been putting fabrics together to sew something with my pseudo-antique orphan block  (far left) for Lori of Humble quilts Antique Blocks Challenge.  Here and Here. My block isn't really an antique but it's pretty old.  It was from my MIL's stash that I inherited when she passed on.  I need to get busy because it's supposed to be completely finished by May 30th.



 And then, it's the last day of February and the new clue for the Aunt Daisy Quilt comes out tomorrow. 

 So, I need to get all 144 of these flying geese units trimmed to make 72 double flying geese units before tomorrow.  I am trying a 'new to me method' for making the flying geese.  I accidently cut out twice as many as I needed -drat!  I'm hoping I can use the extra cuts for some HSTs or Hourglass blocks that will be coming up. 

I got the red house quilt top put together except for the top border. It looks so pretty.   I want to do some applique on the top border but I haven't got it planned out in my mind yet.  Sometimes it helps to work on something else while a design takes hold.

Isn't it amazing how we can have so many projects in the process and know exactly where we are on each of them.  And then while we are working on them we have other ideas spinning around in our head.

It never gets old.

Robin

PS  I think I'm keeping my mind busy so I don't have to think about what's going on in the Ukraine.  It's so terrible and I feel so helpless to assist

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Boy-oh-boy-- another beautiful quilt on your frame!! I can't wait to see how the quilting looks. Your color sense is just amazing...I love this one...
hugs, Julierose

Sandy said...

I’m loving the quilt with the deep blue setting blocks, which will be even more stunning with the cheddar stitching. What do you call that block? It looks sort of like turkey tracks but with stars. Your little patch over the loose seam is a brilliant idea! I found a couple of those in my recently completed log cabin. I wish I had thought of the patch idea.

Cathy said...

I love your idea for covering up an error. The face fabric is perfect. Your Cheddarback quilt is looking good. And I love the quilt you just put on the frame. You are keeping busy. Hugs

Janet O. said...

That first quilt is such a beauty! And I do like your backing fabric choice.
I just admire how committed you are with the hand quilting. Makes such family treasures.
Nice saves on the "mistakes".
You are reminding me that I need to get going on Lori's Challenge piece.
The amazing thing to me is that you get so much done on so many different projects. I have lots of projects, but it is a stretch to say I am getting much done on any of them.
Can't wait to see your house quilt.
I'm with you on the Ukraine situation. Have to keep my mind occupied so I don't worry too much. I pray for them constantly, though!

Nancy said...

I think the Wysocki fabric is a perfect backing for those beautiful stars, Robin. I am so often amazed ad what seems to be your ready access to just-right backing fabrics for your quilts. I need to learn your system of choosing and buying in advance.

Congrats on the near-finish of your Children's Hour. It looks fabulous! It has lots of interesting blocks and I think your quilting adds to the interest. We didn't have a competition going but I remember you suggesting that I would finish mine before you and, now, I have five more blocks to quilt plus sashing and borders.
Great save on those fixes for your quilt. It's strange how just a bit of unstitched seam can get past us, and the pin holes--I've thought about how to prevent them but haven't come up with a solution other than to thread baste.

I should have started thinking seriously about the antique block challenge when Lori first announced it. It's been on my mind the past few weeks but I don't have a block and I'm uncertain about committing to following through with the challenge with such a short time to find a block, think about it, and make a quilt. Maybe next year.

How do you like the new method of making the flying geese? I'm looking forward to seeing your house quilt. You are diligent and prolific, Robin!

audrey said...

Love the quilt you're getting ready for the hoop. I too, much prefer having the quilt tops basted and ready to go before the current one in the hoop is totally done. That way I can sit down the very next evening and jump into the stitching without any breaks! I've been reading a lot to ignore the news. Just can't hardly face all the stress these days!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...