Monday, August 22, 2022

Lots of things


I've been meaning to post for over a week and just couldn't fit it in.  I finished this little Florence Peto quilt.  I machine stitched around the blocks and then used big stitch to outline the applique and the setting triangles.  The small green border looks like it needs some quilting too.



I used one of the leftover blocks for my label.  It took me 11 years to complete this little quilt.  Not my oldest UFO but definitely waiting a long long time.


 

I finished sewing this Red & White quilt top together this morning.  It is from the Aunt Daisy SAL 
I'm a little disappointed in my craftsmanship on this project.  I couldn't seem to press it correctly to make all the points line up.  I didn't really cut points off as much as I didn't line them up properly.  I've decided to name this quilt "Pointless".  I'm not really sure I want to put a label on it  for posterity to know who made this wonky quilt.  

But, in spite of all that it is still very pretty and will really add to my Christmas decorating
.

I want to make Christmas quilts for all six of my kids.  Three of them already have one so I need to make 3 more.  I purchased Vera Mosquera's pattern called "Noel".  And then promptly got out the book above to make the "Ravens" quilt by Blackbird Designs.  

I guess it's because it's almost fall - not almost Christmas.  It doesn't make any sense but I need to go with the project I have enthusiasm for.  


I bought a number of pieces from the Wild Orchid line by Blackbird Designs when this pattern first came out.  It's a really unusual color scheme and takes some getting used to.



I prepped Block 6 for applique.  I'm still trying to decide if I like it or need to change it.  The wing on the bird is not basted down but it is cut out of the fabric below.  It's current fabric with the Edgar Allen Poe's poem "The Raven" written on it.






My husband and our son (the one that is living with Us) have been working hard for over a week to clean out the garage and scrub the floor.  The have washed it with soap and water, they have scrubbed it with something called "Krud Kleaner".  The have used wired bushes on drills to grind down some of the stuff that has been spilled on it.  They sealed it and put epoxy paint on it. 

 WHAT A HUGE PROJECT!!!

But, as you can see, it's done.  And now Mr. Fix-it wants to paint the garage walls.  GASP!



 My neighbor's zinnias are so beautiful I had to share.  Wish I could grow them like this.


Have a wonderful late summer day.  The concord grapes are starting to turn purple so I know autumn will soon be here.

Robin

11 comments:

Sandy said...

Omg it must be in the air! My husband cleaned and organized our garage a few days ago. He didn’t scrub the floor, but still it’s the best it’s looked in years!
What a lovely array of projects you have going on, Robin. Nice to make quilts for all your kids, and then some!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your Florence Peto finish is beautiful, so worth the wait. I love the red and white quilt, and think you will not notice any tiny missing points once it is quilted, I can't see any right now. What a huge job for your hubby and son, the result is wonderful and should make subsequent cleaning much easier, though they probably won't want to park inside for awhile so it doesn't get dirty! Zinnias are one of our favorite summer flowers too.

Julierose said...

What beautiful quilts!! that red/white one is spectacular...really !!
Boy washing and prepping that garage floor looks like it was a bear to do!!
Hope your days are full of joyful sewing hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

Great finish on the Peto quilt.
And the red/white is a beauty. I think you could subtitle it, "My ducks may be in a row, but my points aren't". Although I can't tell that your points don't line up.
Love the Wild Orchid line. It is an interesting color selection for that quilt, but it works.
Your husband and son deserve kudos for sticking with that tedious job. What wonderful results! If I had a garage, I'd want to hire them. :)
I think zinnias are so beautifully colorful. Mine don't get bushy and pretty like that until just before a hard frost. I haven't even planted them for a couple of years now.

Chookyblue...... said...

nice quilt.........OMG huge effort on the garage.......may as well paint now while it's all cleared out.....they better not drop an paint on that beautiful floor now......lol.......

Cathy said...

That Peto quilt is a lot of fun with all those different appliqued items. The Raven one looks like a fun one too. And fabric with the poem on it...what can't you find on fabric these days? Wish I was good at and actually liked to applique as much as I like to look at what others do. And Pointless doesn't look pointless from here! ;-)

Wish I had a hubby and son who would do that to my basement floor!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh Robin, I love your little Peto quilt! I certainly can't tell your points don't line up the way you want but it is a charming and wonderful piece! The Wild Orchid line does remind me so much of fall colors around here. We always have a lot of purple asters growing around here in the fall. Can't wait to see the final piece! Have a wonderful day and kudos for getting the garage so cleaned up! What a project!

Nancy said...

Your Florence Peto quilt is really fun. I love the little peeps! There's lot of fine detail in the appliques. You're very talented!
I think your Aunt Daisy quilt looks great. I know you, as the maker, see all the details/inaccuracies that most people won't notice because of the quilt's beauty. I admit, though, that it IS frustrating when blocks won't align. Is the whole quilt wonky or just some of the points don't align?
Ravens will be a gorgeous quilt. It caught my eye the first time I saw it and would love to make it but I'm sure it's way above my applique abilities. I'll enjoy seeing your blocks come together, though. I think it absolutely makes sense to go with the quilt (or any project) that captures your interest and enthusiasm. If you're not sure about the fabric with the writing on it, perhaps you could cut out the wing and pin it down (after you've appliqued the rest of the block) then let it rest and look at it later to see what you think.
What a lot of work went into the garage floor! It looks great. Perhaps your grands will play out there when it's too cold to go outside?
Love those zinnias!

audrey said...

Your little folk art quilt is very sweet. Congrats on bringing it to a finish! Great idea for your Pointless quilt to use it as Christmas decoration. Having that spot of holiday color in quilt form will help you appreciate it all the more. The garage work looks amazing! My husband keeps working on ours, but I'm quite sure it will never look that nice. lol

marina said...

Your red and white quilt looks amazing!
Love hte applique in your Florence Peto quilt.
The ravens' quilt design looks stunning and great start with block one.
Love the fabric you have for the wing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Its a while since I spotted a red & white quilt, so yours caught my eye... "Pointless" is a delightful quilt and will certainly be a great Christmasy feature!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...