Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Baraboo Quilt

I finally finished my "Baraboo" quilt.  It is named after a city in central Wisconsin.

The Baraboo Chamber of Commerce states; "Baraboo is a charming small town in Wisconsin known for its colorful circus history, Devil's Lake State Park and a historic downtown square."

It has the Circus World Museum and was the wintering spot for Ringling Bros. (I think).  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, it seemed like a good name because of the bright intense colors in this quilt.



It's hard to see the turquoise dots in the border that I made circles to match in the body of the quilt so here is a picture.



I've been quilting this in my living room and the oranges just pop out at me when I walk through.  Not in a good way though, it definitely doesn't go with the rest of the décor.  I got out this needlepoint picture that is a good companion to the quilt.



I'm not sure who is going to get this quilt.  But, I'm glad it's done because it has been waiting it's turn for quite a while now.



I also finished this quilt that I have wrapped around my settee.
Wouldn't it be fun to have it upholstered in this quilt?

I had it machine quilted earlier this year but never got the binding sewn on till now.

It is from Temecula Quilt Co. and is called Beyond Baskets.  It has wonderful reproduction fabrics in it.

 You can see my previous post about it here.




After finishing the other two quilts I got out another UFO to finish.  It is the Florence Peto block exchange I participated in with my friend Marlena in 2011.  It past time to get it done.

It won't take long.  I've already sewn around the individual blocks by machine and now I'm big stitching around the designs.  It's almost like doing embroidery.  

It has been so hot here that I haven't accomplished much other than holding still and stitching.  My house desperately needs some attention.

Hope the heat hasn't sapped your energy and you are getting a lot done.
Robin
 

9 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Two beautiful finishes, I love both, although I especially loved the bold colors in Baraboo.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your Baraboo quilt has the hot colors of summer - with a little cool mixed in - very striking. Your finished basket quilt is so pretty - wow that looks like some complicated piecing. It will be fun to see your progress with your UFO. It looks colorful and interesting - cute purple butterfly. Stay cool! What a brutal summer, weather wise.

Janet O. said...

Baraboo is really fun. You have to have a quilt like that in the lineup every now and then, even though it doesn't fit your decor. Someone will love it. It is so unique, it makes me smile. Love your reason behind the name.
Beyond Baskets certainly does take the basket quilt to a new level. Very pretty!!
Your F. P. quilt looks really fun. I can't believe how much hand quilting you get done. Puts me to shame!!

Nancy said...

Both quilts are beautiful, each in its own way. I love Baraboo's bright, lively colors and, well, in general, I love circles. How did you keep the circles round? So often I see quilts with X's through them and they look slightly flattened with the X's cut through and are stitched. I think there must be some trick or knowledge that I don't know about.

Your basket quilt looks so homey and comfortable. I like how each basket has something different.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the quilt you're working on now. It looks bright and cheerful.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wow Robin! I love your projects! The Baraboo quilt is FANTASTIC, love the colors and the layout, that fabric is perfect! I love the basket piece and I'm a sucker for Florence Peto anything and love your quilt!!! Stay cool and safe! Hugs!

Kaja said...

Two lovely quilts. I love the colours of Baraboo but then got really excite at the idea of a quilted settee, not to mention a Circus World museum! The close-up of the border fabric was a good idea - I hadn’t spotted the turquoise but can see from that picture how well it all ties together.

Julierose said...

I was just able to re-connect with bloglovin--so can see your posts once again ;))))
I love your Baraboo quilt--what is it about circles that just draw me in? Lovely colors in this one--plus the "crosses" --i like those too. both in one is amazing--hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Both of your quilts are gorgeous, Robin. Love the oranges in Baraboo. Oh yes a quilted settee would be so fun. I also have a quilt on my settee. It makes it a lot more comfy. Have a great week. Happy quilting.

audrey said...

I can't believe you put off the binding on that gorgeous quilt for so long! How could you resist? lol And Barbaroo is irresistible. So rich and warm looking. Great finishes!!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...