Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Is it too much red?


I have been wanting to do a Red & White quilt  for a long time.  I finally found something I wanted to do and so I started around February.  It was my Red & White houses quilt (SEE HERE

Then I found another Red & White quilt I wanted to do (SEE HERE) and got busy on that.



I thought I was finished with the house top but the quilt kept calling out from the closet. . .
  "I need a word strip border on my left side!" 

So, I finally gave in and have been working on it between company, summer, quilting at the frame, and just being SO DANG HOT!

I having trouble deciding whether to cut out and applique the center of the two O's or leave them  whole.  The "O" above is whole.


I cut out a white circle and put it over the "O" to see what it would look like appliqued open.  I don't know which I like best. . . 

 i

 The other quilt, the Aunt Daisy quilt is making progress.  I sewing the blocks in strips first and you can see that I'm working on the bottom and top row of the block.  I've got the only finished block close by so I can prevent myself from making mistakes.

I love red and I know I'm going to love both of these quilts but I'm getting anxious to start something (or even finish something else) that has a variety of colors in it.

It's like having white lights or multi-colored on a Christmas tree.  Sometimes I want the bright crispness of white lights and other times I want the fanciful happy multi-colored ones.

The good news is that both of my Red & White projects are coming to a close soon and I can get a little more color in my life😏

Robin

I did sneak in a multi-colored purchase.  I bought this curated FQ bundle of Art Gallery Fabrics.


                                                                          Luscious!

7 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Red always looks so good......I think you could do either way with the O.......... The second quilt is lovely to......
Enjoy your project with those lovely new fabrics.....

Quilting Babcia said...

Never too much red! After all as Freddy Moran tells quilters "Red is a neutral." It's all good, and when you're finished you'll have the beginning of a collection.

Michele McLaughlin said...

It's never too much red! I love both of your projects and I think the O is perfect either way because she used such a unique print on it! I'm loving your work and can't wait to see the finished quilt top! Have a safe and happy day!

Janet O. said...

I like the way you have fussy-cut the snowflake in the "O", but I also like the open one. Big help, huh?
I have a really hard time sticking to a two color quilt, no matter how much I like the two colors. The only red/white quilt I have attempted was started years ago, and it still isn't finished--and it is a mini! I admire your commitment, but totally understand the itch to use more colors.
Looks like a pretty bundle of fabrics you have picked up!

Nancy said...

In response to the question in the title of your post, Robin, I don't think you can ever have too much red! Both quilts are gorgeous!
I would be like you and need to use one block to make the rest for the Aunt Daisy blocks. It seems like a complicated block with many pieces.
I understand exactly about being ready to make a quilt with more than one color (two if you count the white background). I'm at about that point with my churn dashes (and I still have a long way to go with those!).
The colors and fabrics in your Art Gallery bundle are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing how you use them.
And about that heat.... I think your temperatures are hotter than ours but I think we have more humidity and higher dew points. I don't know which feels hotter to the skin. All I know is that it feels like walking through soup here sometimes. I think you all are still in need of rain. I hope you get it soon!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

There is no such thing as too much red, but I can understand getting tired of it if that is all you are working with at the time. I adore Art Gallery fabrics although I haven't purchased any.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think all of the red is fabulous! The strip border is a fun addition. I have never made an all red and white quilt but it's on "the list" to make. It's so dang hot here, too, my first summer in NC and yowsa! Your new fabric bundle looks lovely.

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...