Saturday, July 2, 2022

Summer stays busy


I decided to make the Blockheads 4 blocks using my Minnick and Simpson scraps or maybe I should say my red, white, and blue scraps. I got caught up last week and it only takes one week to get behind.

The lower right block is just a filler until I get this weeks block made.  I haven't made the appliqued Jan Patek block yet but I want to.  I like the way there is a bonus block every few weeks so I can get more made or exchange one of the bonus blocks for one of the others.




I'm participating in the Aunt Daisy Quilt SAL.  I finished the first block today.  I'll make 8 more for a full sized quilt top.  My points certainly aren't perfect but I love the stark contrast of the red and white.  The white looks more like snow but it's really Kona white. Those triangle blocks are tricky to get all the angles lined up properly.



I finished the Scrap Tease quilt top.  I'm not really happy about the placement of colored strips but I didn't have an area to set it all out to prevent colors being close together,  It's going to be a picnic quilt so it doesn't really matter.   I've always had a sheet hung up for a design wall or a large space on the floor in my family room.  But, now that I've got my son and family living downstairs there is no place to spread out.




Since I have discovered how awkward block placement is right now - I'll choose projects that don't require that kind of thing.  (Like the Aunt Daisy quilt where all the blocks are the same.)



Last week at my quilt group "Bound Together" one of the ladies (whose house was where were meeting) showed us her stash and how she has been working hard to organize it.  She has a huge stash and is folding all the fabric into a uniform size.  I decided to try it with my messy shelves that have become my storage since moving upstairs.  So far I've done the purple and pink (I have tons more pink elsewhere) and I really like how it looks.  The surprise is how time consuming it is to do this because all the fabrics have to be pressed first.

I wonder if I do all the fabric . . . will I really keep it that tidy going forward?



 Hope your summer is fresh and pretty as these hollyhocks in my neighbors yard.  I just had to take a picture.  I love the color of pink.  It's interesting that no bees were there.  When I have had hollyhocks, the bees love them.




Robin


6 comments:

JustGail said...

I've done that with my stash. The first effort was the worst. I have full confidence you will keep it neat when done. Mostly. There will be times mayhem starts to creep in. What keeps me from letting things get too out of hand is the memory of how long it took to do the first time, and how nice it was when done.
Scrap Tease is very pretty.

Julierose said...

Just lovely quilts, Robin!! Those hollyhocks are beautiful--they remind me of my Grand-mere's garden--she always had those...
I hope your holiday weekend is a good wone...[I won't comment on the state of our country right now...]
Hugs, Julierose

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love that red and white contrast too. What a neat name for your quilting group. What a great top to make into a picnic quilt! It looks great to me and the lattice effect is so cool. On occasion I have neatened up my fabric the way you have done with your pinks and purples. It doesn't last long but it's sort of a meditative exercise and a chance to see exactly what I have.

Janet O. said...

Your blockhead blocks look good. Will they be sashed, or have setting squares--or have you decided that far ahead? :)
The Aunt Daisy block looks very complex and time consuming, but beautiful! How large is the block, if 8 more make a quilt top?
Scrap Tease is a happy dance of scraps. I don't see a thing wrong with it. As a picnic quilt, will you tie it?
I don't think I will ever refold all of my stash, if it involves ironing everything first. More power to you!
Love the hollyhocks. My MIL used to have some next door. I gathered seeds from them, but I really don't have a space right for growing them. I remember making dolls out of the flowers at my grandparents' house in Benson when I was little.

Nancy said...

Your Blockheads blocks look great. I've thought about participating and usually decide I'm not ready for another sampler-style quilt.
Your Aunt Daisy block looks challenging with so many different units but I think you've done it very well. The contrast between the red and white is stunning.
As for Scrap Tease, when all the blocks are together as you have them none of the colors seem to be concentrated in any one area. I think they are evenly distributed. And I love this quilt!
I'm sure it's a challenge not to be able to spread out or have a place to audition block placement, etc. I hope it won't be long till you get your space back.
This is how I fold my fabrics. I try to keep colors together but due to limited space, sometimes one color runs into another on top of a stack. And sometimes, even though I fold the fabric when I'm finished, it sometimes becomes a stack somewhere else in the room. Which is to say, mostly, it's neat but not always organized.

Kaja said...

It can be hard when you don't have space to lay things out, can't it? At least you now have a plan for how to tackle the problem though. I tried folding my fabrics nicely, but lack the discipline to keep things that organised - good luck and I hope you do better than I did!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...